peavey max bass or GK 150s for upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jimnto, Mar 7, 2014.

1. jimnto

jimnto

I am looking for the smallest - decentest little amp for me to plug my upright bass into. Almost like a personal monitor.

GK 150s is hard to find around here (used - anyhow - are they still made) but there is a peavey max 112 used for $100. My god I can spare $100 but am I throwing my money away? Or is this a decent little amp?

On another topic - I have a TC electronics combo (BM 250 I think) I love but it's too big. Maybe I should take the head out of it and find a tiny tiny 10" speaker cab.

HELP

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Which Max 112, new or old?

3. jimnto

jimnto

I am assuming new. It has these ports in the front of it.

Am I throwing money away?

4. rtslinger

rtslinger

that is the old one

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jimnto

jimnto

Is the old one better? Is it going to be ojk for $100 for a little personal monitor.

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I plan to buy the Max 158 this weekend for when I just need a little more volume than the bass itself. It sounded quite good with a Precision bass at the music store. I'll report back on how it sounds with DB.

I did play through the 112 at a rehearsal with my Mouse 30 copy (piezo pickup) and I was quite surprised at how good it sounded. Made me rethink Peavey.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Brought the Peavey Max 158 home and plugged it in. Perfectly fine for a small amplifier. Louder and fuller than I expected with a bit of a wooly sound even with Vintage/Modern switch on Modern. The vintage setting is of no use to me. Too non-distinct of a sound.

Because I have an Eminence Alpha 8a sitting around I installed it. Right away much more clarity and quality. Not that the oem speaker was going to be a problem for its intended purpose but I'll go ahead and leave the Eminence in.

9. JI99

JI99 Supporting Member

The GK MB150S combo is still made. The MB150E ("enhanced" i guess) that includes a chorus and a couple other EQ options has been discontinued. And the 112MBX extension cab that was made for both, is also still in production - it adds quite a bit of volume and fullness to what is already a surprisingly full sound from the combo.

I have used mine with electric basses, piezo and magnetic. Don't play upright. It is a very nice rich mid-forward sound. There is a reason this combo is still well-thought of after many years. I tried the new MB112 but did not like it at all in comparison to the MB150S. It could get louder but i found the sound to be very muddy and indistinct in comparison to the MB150S. Your opinion with upright might be very different, try to audition both amps if you can.

Suggest you post your original question on the DB>Amps section, you'll probably get a lot of helpful replies.

10. Blankandson

Blankandson

I'd go with the GK MB150 and a Berg 1x12 ext speaker. Yeah it's expensive but if you play upright or UEB for a living it's really going to make your job sooooo much nicer.