Peavey MAX preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Flatwound, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sucker looks pretty good for the price, but I haven't played one. Tube and solid state channels, XLR and 1/4" out, lots of EQ options, etc. Any opinions?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Anybody? Anything? Hello? :confused:
  3. danhei

danhei

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

I don't have a Max preamp, but I do have a T-Max head, which is essentially the Max preamp with power.

I think if you have a bass that you like the sound of and you won't require a ton of tone sculpting from the preamp, the Max will do the job for you.

I run my T-Max with the tube and solid state channels combined, favoring the tube channel just a little. I have a slight smiley face curve on the graphic E.Q. and all the other tone controls are set flat.

I'm very happy with the sound of my T-Max. So happy that I am currently saving my pennies to put together a rack-mount rig with a Max preamp and a DPC1400X power amp. (This should make the guitar player in my band very happy ;) !)

The Max is no Eden or Alembic, but IMO, for the $$$ you can't beat it.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound

Well, ultimately, I'm thinking of going with the pre-amp/power amp kind of setup. In the meantime, I'm just looking for a warmer sound with a little more tone shaping than what I have. I can get a MAX for relatively little cash. If I could afford a Demeter, I'd probably look at them a little more closely.

Here's a weird question: What about running a power amp directly off a SansAmp? I know there's no graphic, etc., but if my bass has a good native sound, would this do what I need?

Thanks again.
  6. John M. Cote

John M. Cote

>I'm surprised he hasn't pitched in already but John Cote has a review on the BGRA:

Sorry ! I was away for a few days...

>He seems to like it.

Indeed I do. It is a very versatile piece of gear. Its 2 channels can be used independently or blended and eq'ing the right sound is a straigthforwad affair. Another advantage of the 2 channel set up is that the pre-amp still works if your tube dies out (it has happened to me) - replacing the 12AX7 is a piece of cake, even for a technologically challenged person such as I.

Lastly, 2 comments:

the price is unbeatable

the pre-amp has the old-style Peavey logo. Some don't like it (I don't mind it) - but since the unit only occupies 1 rack space, the logo is actually quite small !!

John
  7. John M. Cote

John M. Cote

I forgot to mention, I use the Max with a Mackie 1400i to power 2 peavey cabs: a 210 TXF and a 115 BX.

John
  8. Flatwound

Flatwound

Thanks, John, and thanks for the e-mail. I have a 115 BW cab, so I'm not too worried about a little logo on a preamp ;) . Not sure what I'll do yet, but the Max is close to the top of the list.
  9. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

funny story, ive been shopping for preamps hardcore, and been disappointed mainly with the lack of graphic EQs and things like that on preamps (Even really expensive models have dials for parametrics).

so i stumbled upon this thread trying to gain info on selling my 500w Tmax head (To finance this little preamp venture) and realized *smacks forehead* I'VE ALREADY GOT A KILLER PREAMP.

and yes it will be the heaviest rack ever (ever) but i think the hybrid tone will be dank, and now ive got an eq (and a spare 500w if i ever need it).

Thanks TB search function!
  10. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I have a Max Pre. The tube fell out of it's socket and it was such a hassle opening the unit up and all that I moved it from my live rig to my studio rig... GREAT recording pre-amp !!!!

This is the 2nd one I've owned. The first was the Max, the DECA 1200 (at least I think that was it) and two 1516 cabs, very sweet sounding....
  11. neptoon

neptoon

i've got one that i paired up with an old peavey 8.5C power amp...it weighs a ton, but it sounds pretty good...8 year old thread...sweet :D
  12. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  13. neptoon

neptoon

nice...i'll have to try that :D
  14. Warpeg

Warpeg

I used to run: Peavey Max>Crown Power Base II>Peavey 210TVX/115BVX. Wow! That was one of the best sounding rigs that I have ever played! I miss it very much.

The Max has it all. It has a tube channel and solid state channel; the channels can be blended. It has great EQ offerings. It has full range and fully-adjustable biamp outputs. It's in a nice 1U space container. It even had a decent footswitch option. I ran the high output to channel A and the low output to channel B of the crown. The 210TVX got channel A and the 115BVX got channel B. My crossover was set at about a 200Hz split with the highs a bit louder than the lows. The tone kind of reminded me of a Mesa/Boogie rig.

My only complaint was that it didn't have a master volume.
  15. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but....

Does anyone know precisely what the 'low shelving' knob does on the solid state EQ section? The manual is not terribly specific.

I would like to have a know to attenuate the frequencies below 30Hz or so, and I wonder if this knob does it....

I used Peavey's forums, but not much help there either.

Anybody?