Peavey Musician 400 "power pak"

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by OldGreg, Jul 8, 2011.

1. OldGreg

OldGreg

I recently got this amp and really don't have any idea what it is. I have done a fair amount or research, and can find little on this head. I'm not really sure this is even a bass head, but from what I've read, I'm assuming it is.

The serial number tag says:

Model Peavey Power Pak
    Serial Number 7A-119630

I have already emailed Peavey, but was hoping this might be a little quicker.

Its solid state, 200 watts, and can handle 2ohms. The original inspection writing is still on the inside. "11-10-77" is written inside, along with the initials "JJ".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OldGreg

OldGreg

3. bassbrad

bassbrad

That is a mid to late 70's Peavey Musician head intended for guitar or electric keyboard use, there was a companion Bass version and even a PA head in the same series. It is possible to play bass thru it but don't expect a modern sound those old amps were quite crunchy even the "clean" channel, but not in a bad way.
    It does have a unique distortion fuzz circuit with a blend and a phase shifter on the effects channel and a Hammond tank reverb.
    I still have my old BASS head bought new in '79 that works fine and still almost looks new, unlike your specimen that looks like it was dredged out of a river. Good luck finding the foot switch which you will need to access the effects features.

4. 1n3

1n3

Yeah... a guitar head. Mid 70s, I think. I owned one for a while, and sad to say, tossed it or gave it away in a move (can't remember). The bass version didn't have reverb or tremolo, and the EQ frequencies were lower.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

My uncle is the original owner of one of those, he still has it and used his only for bass. I learned to play through that amp early on. Its useable...I remember it holding up just fine in the local dance halls.

You plug into the jacks under 'normal'.

7. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Disclosures:
    spector basses
    I have one , older version , and matching cabinet . Thing is , mine has matching serial numbers - head and cab .

8. TravTrav

TravTrav

Are the headshells on these plywood or particle board?

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

I had a PA400 and I WANT to say that is was particle board.

Mine is the same thing as this except it had 6x channels and reverb.

10. 1n3

1n3

Particle board, I'd bet. Most Peavey cabinetry I've seen from this period was, with the exception of speaker baffles.