Peavey People...anyone know anything about the Forum AX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

Can't really find much on this bass. I have the chance to pick one up for $250. It's new-old-stock even still has the hang tags on it. It's a relay ugly sunburst but I can deal with that if it's a good bass.

Is that a decent price?
    Do these sound similar to anything, ie, precision, jazz etc?

Thanks.
    S-

2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Sounds more like a single pickup stingray. If it is in good condition that is a solid price. These are a great alternative to an early stingray, 18v 2-band preamp, single humbucker in the mid/bridge position. They are slightly heavier than other 90's peaveys, but way lighter than 80's stingrays.

3. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Hiho,I ,ve got a Forum 95,just a great bass guitar,great build,fabulous neck,very close to a 2 band musicman which I have as well.
    I use the Peavey more,kinda says it all.close your eyes and it,s hard to tell what one is what.
    Well worth having,my one was built in 95 and it,s lasting very well,everything is original apart from the strings.

4. Major Softie

Major Softie

The AX is not a single pickup (there are a few different Forum models). It is a two-VFL active pickup bass with a big P-style neck and nut - very uncommon neck profile for late U.S. Peaveys. It has an 18v active system with volume, blend, and a stacked high/low tone control. It's also got a nice brass high-mass bridge.

Most of the Forums are P/J, but the AX and the 5 have the dual active VFL's. Bassmachine's 95 has the 18v pre and a single pickup, but I believe that pickup is passive on the 95.

The bass is not my cup of tea, me being into skinny necks and passive pickups. but it's very well made and a great bass if it's the style you're looking for. Plus, if it is what you are looking for, you'll never have to look again, because it will last forever . . . or at least until your great-great-great-great-grandchildren tire of it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

It is the one passive pick up model which is the size of a musicman one with 18v preamp and big precision neck-1,7" at the nut.It,s shallower at the back and low action is easy to get in fct it goes so low without buzzin that I find it hard to play .
    Built like a musicman SUB the American made one.
    Not many of these about but they are good,very good.
    Grab one if you can cause it will last

8. Major Softie

Major Softie

Yeah, Bassmachine, your Forum 95 is pretty different than the Twin active VFL AX.

The one Mjac shows looks like an AX.

9. MKoby

MKoby Supporting Member

I've one just like mjac28 posted.
    Bridge P/U does the MMSR really well.
    The bass sounds great, records clean.
    Easier to get the sound than my Am SUB.
    Plays quite easily.
    It is REALLY well made.

Neck reminds me of an older J bass, late 60's or early 70's.
    Mine is very heavy, I'd guess 11-12 lbs.
    I like it a lot, it would be difficult to give up.