1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Standard Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by James Ridener, Feb 17, 2013.

1. James Ridener

James Ridener

I'm considering buying this amp and cab, but haven't been able to find any info on the head (yes, I searched the forum). The seller says it's 120 watts and wants $75 for both. Are these nice sounding amps? Is there a place where I can find info (manuals, schematics, etc...)? I'll be playing a P bass through it, if that helps. Thanks.

James

2. James Ridener

James Ridener

I forgot to post the pic.

Attached Files:

3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Even though I'm a huge fan of older Peavey gear, this isn't that great of a deal, IMHO. If that's a 1x15 cab at 8 ohms, that head is probably only able to do 60 watts into an 8 ohm load. If it's a 4 ohm cab, that head might put out maybe 90 or 100 watts into a 4 ohm load--because I suspect the 120 watt rating is at a 2 ohm load.

Maybe $100 total for the whole rig might be OK, personally I'd pass though.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I don't see how you could go far wrong at that price? $75.00 for both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. James Ridener

James Ridener

I just found a manual and apparently it's 130 watts at 4 ohms. It would be $75 for the head and cab together, though I have no clue if the cab is 4 ohms.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

$75 for the whole rig doesn't seem unreasonable, especially since it looks so clean.

Here's the manual from the model that must have come out just after the amp in question. link

At any rate, they're both from the '70s.

8. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Ah ok, I was confused, I thought the OP meant $75 for each, totalling $150. (I've been sniffing too many paint fumes this afternoon)

$75 total would be good, and the clarification on the wattage helps a lot too. $75 total? Jump on it.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I'd say it's a fair price, although I would never use it myself.

10. James Ridener

James Ridener

Does anyone know how it would sound as a bass amp? I've found vids of guys running their guitars through it, but nothing with a bass. According to the frequency range listed in the manual, it should cover the bass frequencies just fine.

11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Frequency range means very little. Best thing is to go with your bass and play through it. That way you will know if the sound of the rig is also something you like.

12. James Ridener

James Ridener

The common sense answer. I like it. :bassist:

13. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I bought a Century Bass 200 for $60 and loved it. Mine is ~60w at 8 ohm and 100w at 4 ohm but sounds loud for it's ratings. I'm pretty sure it's high passed internally around 80 hz to get more loudness from the power available. It makes my Roto 66 loaded P bass shimmer and flatwound loaded P/J sound like something straight out of a '70's record. Pretty sure that has a similar but updated power section to mine.

14. clejw

clejw

That's an old solid state guitar (not bass) amp. The head might work ok for bass, but I'm a little skeptical on the cabinet. Guitar cabinets usually don't do so well for bass. I think you'd be better off using your $75 for a cheap bass combo amp off criagslist. I think even a 50 watt bass combo with a 12" speaker is going to sound better than a guitar amp. Now, if the cabinet is in fact a 15" bass cab, then go for it.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Trusting your ears is always a great way to go!

Plus that amp has a distortion channel which adds even more tonal possibilities (and fun)!

16. James Ridener

James Ridener

It looks like one channel has boost/cut tone controls and the other has high and low pass. The channels can be run series, parallel, or individually. I'm waiting to find out more about the cab before I pull the trigger. Thanks for everyone's input thus far.

17. clejw

clejw

Did you post in the wrong thread? You make no sense to this topic.

18. James Ridener

James Ridener

According to the manual, the 130 watts is 4 ohms, 85 watts at 8 ohms, and 80 watts at 2 ohms.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

I'm guessing that both channels have passive tone controls.

This amp does not have the series/parallel capabilities of the slightly later version of the Standard that is described in that manual that I posted the link for.

For the amp you included a photo of, the two input jacks on each channel are labeled 1 and 2 for normal and low sensitivity input levels (like an old Fender amp).

20. James Ridener

James Ridener

I see that now. That's okay though, as I don't need that many options (it would have been a nice bonus, though).

21. BillyB_from_LZ

You can run the channels in parallel but doing to old-school linking method. You plug your bass into one channel's No. 1 jack and then a short instrument cable between the jack labeled No. 2 and the No. 1 jack on the other channel.

You control each channel independently which would allow you to roll in some distortion...or some distortion without a lot of low end or how ever you want it.