1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey T-40 caps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by themaestro78, Oct 17, 2013.

1. themaestro78

themaestro78

hello folks, I am going to rewire my T-40 with push pull volume controls and .047 caps on the tone pots. All pots will be 250k audio. my real question is what are the other caps function (c2 and c4 on the diagram). Are they necessary?

here is the diagram for reference
    http://imageshack.us/f/199/t40t60qf5nc7.gif/

Thanks in advance for any info you all may have
  2. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Sorry, not actually answering your enquiry themaestro78, but do you know the scope of what the T-40's OEM (albeit initially confusing) wiring does?
    It can re-produce a lot of different bass sounds!

I recently bought my first T-40 and there's no way on earth I'd ever change it's electronics!

Video explaining some of the sounds of the T-40

Peavey T-40 Owners Manual
  3. themaestro78

themaestro78

yup I understand. my plan is to be able to have full tone control in both single coil and humbucker. I'm undecided whether or not to reconnect the phase switch and just leave it unhooked since i never use it or plan to. Maybe i'll try and use it to select what coil i want to use in the neck...maybe
  4. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Ok, fair enough then. :)

I'd be hooking it up for sure.
    Nice to have the option.
  5. mech

mech

The tone pots are 250K "S" taper and are different from audio and linear taper. I suggest you replace them with audio taper and carefully store the original tone pots. There are no more "new" ones unless they are custom made. $$$$$$$$.

Use the same coil as is currently used in the neck PU for single coil. Otherwise it will be out of phase with the single coil mode of the bridge PU unless you switch it also. If you use the bridge PU in HB mode while the neck PU is in SC, it makes no difference.

mech
  6. themaestro78

themaestro78

thanks for the tip mrch, but what about those caps, what are they doing?
  7. Crater

Crater

Those caps are treble bypass caps, sometimes called treble bleed caps. The idea is to keep the tone the same as the volume is rolled off.
  8. themaestro78

themaestro78

hey cool! thanks Crater i think I'll put them back in when i rewire it.