1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey T-40 Phase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redstrand, Feb 18, 2014.

1. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Need help!
    With the phase switch up(in phase) the bridge pickup doesn't work when selected with the three way switch, they both work with the switch in the middle and the neck works solo.
    When the phase switch is down(out of phase), both pickups work fine.
    On top of that the sound is phasey, no one setting single coil or humbucker gives me a good clear bass sound. Sounds nothing like any of the videos I've watched, my Nash and Ric sound great on the same setting on my amp so it's not the amp.

Any advice would be great!
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Sounds like either 1) you have a loose wire at the switch or 2) someone has messed up the wiring. Open the control cavity up and take a look. If you have any questions at that point, a picture can help a lot when it comes to wiring. Good luck. These can be nice basses.
  3. redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Yes they can, I'll post a pic tonight.
  4. redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    The t-40 has the blade pickups, what is the normal reading for those? I'm going to look under the hood and figured I'll start with the pickups and trace my way through the wiring.
  5. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Blades run around 5k ohms per coil.
  6. mech

mech

Here's a wiring diagram. If the Phase switch feels funny at all it's probably taken a lick and is not switching properly internally. Very common.

mech
    [​IMG]
  7. redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    I found the diagram, the switch feels solid but I'll see once I get home. Thanks a bunch!
  8. redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Is the cavity normally shielded?
    The wiring seems solid, nothing looks loose at first sight.
    The bridge PUP only has a single coil for the out of phase setting normal, but no output for in phase on the middle or bridge setting on the 3 way...bad coil?
  9. redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    Never mind, the bridge pickup is bad and the bridge tone pot is too. Thanks for the advice