Peavey T-40 vs Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crikker, Feb 6, 2014.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

I've got GAS. Excuse me. I have a T-40 but am gassing for a P. What would I gain by purchasing one? Lighter in weight I believe. I hear with my T-40, I can get a close to P sound but how close? I know I need to drag my rear to a store and try one to see but can you all give some input? Thanks.

2. deeptubes

deeptubes

I have both. My '84 P Elite II weighs 13 lbs. My '00 P Special Deluxe weighs 9.5 lbs. My '79 T-40 weighs 10 lbs. The T-40 is crazy versatile. It's virtually a P, J, and Ray rolled into one. What would you gain? A headstock that says Fender Precision on it.

Don't worry about trying to dial in a particular sound. Dial in YOUR sound.

3. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Not every Fender Precision sounds the same. The weight varies from one to another. I have probably owned over 20 P's in the last 50 years. I can honestly say, I don't think there is a absolute P bass sound.
    Rocky

4. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Both the T40 and the Precision are time tested road warriors. The Fender is more comfortable, probably a little more acceptable as far as looks and tradition goes. Nothing wrong at all with owning a P bass, but I'd keep the T40 too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Habilis

Habilis Supporting Member

Having a T-40, I assume you have seen this, but in case you haven't, it's a really excellent guided tour through the many sounds the bass can make:

(beginning at 3:58 is particularly helpful)
    Anyway, if you are still jonesing for a P-Bass after that, I'd go to your local big-box music store and buy one and try it out. If you don't love it enough, return it.
    I own both and I would say that every comment I read above is true.

7. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Yeah, I played a little last night after posting and I still have fun with the T-40. I guess it's just the want of another bass. Even if I did get a P, the T-40 stays for sure. I'm on the quest for another sound I suppose. Thanks for the replies.

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

The T40 has a lot of sounds, but a Precision is not one of them! Go for it, then get a Jazz next too!

9. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

THAT'S the ticket! Add in a "J" bass, and you've just about got all the "bases" <GROAN!> covered.

10. RolandMHall

RolandMHall

I just picked up a black t40 today. It's heavy but not much more than my Lakland skyline 5s. Tone and sustain is incredible. Very versatile. One volume pot is scratchy but that's it. 19mm spacing string thru body brass nut coil taps and very hot humbuckers with a case for $250.00.. it's insane how good this bass sounds for what I paid for it.

Put DR black beauties on it and I am very pleased.

Attached Files:

11. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I have a T-40 and an Epiphone Ripper, which is basically PJ. They sound very different. You should definitely try a p bass.

Nice Bass RolandMHall. I have one just like it.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

With upstream EQ.

That's what it's there for.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Are you thinking MIA or MIM? For the price of a MIA P Bass, you can get a MIM P and a Jazz bass. There's the trifecta right there. :)

14. mech

mech

Congrats on your score but unless the nut has been replaced it's made of chrome plated, die cast aluminum.

mech

15. RolandMHall

RolandMHall

Sir you are absolutely correct a previous owner at some point changed the nut on the bass to a brass one. The metal one is in the case along with some spare bridge saddles and 2 tuning machines.

16. RolandMHall

RolandMHall

Serial No for mine shows 01014250, I think the peavey site shows that as a 1982 model. Can anyone confirm this?

17. mech

mech

My # list shows it's an '82, also, but it's probably the same list. If you take the pickguard loose to clean the pots check the 4 digit date code on them. That'll give a good indication of when it was made. Ex: 8215. First two numbers give the year and second two give the week of the pot housing being made. Peavey should have received and used the pots within a few months.

It's good you have the original nut since they're scarcer than hen's teeth.

mech

18. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Nice!

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

QFT

20. RolandMHall

RolandMHall

Thanks for the information. Very much appreciate it. After seeing what these things are selling for on Ebay these days (saw one for a grand), I fully expect these basses to continue to appreciate in value.