Peavey T-45 or T-20? Looking for some input

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

Once again, thanks in advance for any info.

I've got the chance to pick up a Peavey T-45 for $300 including shipping and an original hardshell case. There's a little bit of finish wear and one smal chip by the jack.

I just have a few questions...
    Is this a decent price?
    Is this a good "overall" bass? I own a bass w J pickups and this will be my only other bass for a while, so I'd like to know if its good for varied types of music.
    Is it similar to a P, a MM or somethig totally distinctive?
    Finally, is it similar to the T-20 and is it a better value than getting a T-20 for $225?

I really like some of the suggestions that I've been given, (Foundation, Fury, Axcelerator) but these seem like the best choices for inverted play. (Yes...a lefty.)

Again, thanks for any input

S-

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

I would say that's high.

A guy semi-locally has a white one in less pristine condition with a nice Gator hard case he's been trying to sell on CL for $150 for the past month. If he were twenty miles closer, I'd go bag it myself.

I would also add that while old US Peaveys are getting love here in recent times, that's mainly because they are cheap. When they start getting expensive, that love's going to start to evaporate and people are going to become more critical. They are prone to a few unique problems and wear out like any other bass after twenty or thirty years of hard use.

3. emf818

emf818

I mean the feel is kinda P bass ish i think but sound wise honestly you can get it to sound like either.

4. Scottpro1969

Scottpro1969

It's a great bass for the money and $300 is in the ballpark. It is HEAVY though. Heavier than a T-40 usually.

The T-20 is a good bass too. Much lighter than the 45, and the super-ferrite pickup is kick ass.

If it were me, I'd go with the T-20.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Justice

Justice

Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    I don't think either is as popular or in demand as the T-40. (if the T-40 could be considered "in demand") But the T-20 is a good bass, and the stock pickup is super hot. At least the one I used to have was. Kinda wish I still had it.

7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I've had both. The T-45 is the better bass IMO, more versatile, more powerful.

All the T basses are heavy, there is no logical reason a T-45 would be heavier than a T-40.

If you watch ebay, asking prices for T basses has risen sharply in the last couple years. $300 sounds believable for a nice example, IMO.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have a T-45 and it's a beast one of my favorite sounding basses.

9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

T40 has two pickups.... More routing= less wood=less weight (in a perfect world where all wood is equally dense)

10. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

If either of the Peaveys you mentioned were available near me for those prices, they would already be mine...

11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

The extra pickup in the T-40, the extra elecs, even the extra metal knob will weigh more than excavated wood from the pickup rout. Hold a small hunk of northern ash in your hand, then hold a big bucker pickup and you'll see what I'm saying.

12. Eilif

Eilif

I'd recommend the t-45. I have a T-40 and for a while I had a first generation Ferrite equipped "Fury" (like a t-20 but with a smaller body). I prefer the 40/45 style humbucker. It's got a bit more chunk and is more flexible tonally.

That said, I'd love to have either of those bases, and with the big T-style body, I know they wouldn't have the terrible neck dive that the fury had.

I would concur that 300 is not totally out of range for a very good condition T-45 these days.

13. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Sorry, early morning logic failed me. I concede to Templar.

14. ronin614

ronin614

Thanks for the responses everyone.

This is really a challenge because I can't seem to find much in the way of soundclips for either.

15. lug

lug