1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey TB Raxx preamp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Justice, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    I have a Peavey TB Raxx bass preamp. I am the original owner.

It seems to be working fine, it does not give me any problems and I have it paired up with a Crown XLS 1000 Drivecore amp.

It has the original tubes. And like I said, it seems to be working fine.

It uses 2 12ax7 preamp tubes. Would I notice any difference if I were to install new tubes? What would someone suggest?

Groove Tubes, EHX, Mullard, Tung Sol, JJ, Ruby?

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Disclosures:
    The bass rescuer...
    anyone? Bueller?

3. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    You'll probably notice some difference, but it doesn't have to be much.
    Since 12AX7s aren't that expensive and also don't go bad over time - well, maybe in 50 years...but that'd be enough time to get another amp :bag: - there's not much to loose.

Regarding which tubes to try: Try googling for tests, as said they all have slightly different characteristics. JJ tubes are a good place to start. They are cheap, sound nice & are easy to get by.

4. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah NOT a Pikanya Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    JJ's, Tung Sols, and EHX are all good bets. I got a Penta 12ax7 that I'm very happy with. No affiliation, but I'd check out Doug's Tubes if you want to have your tubes tailored to your specs (hi-gain or other characteristics). Really helpful and easy to navigate the site.