Peavey tl-5 2nd gen help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hit_the_lights, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

All my electronics are taking a dump on my tl-5. When I bought it it seemed to work fine even though I did pop the back open and find a mess back there. I want to either have it all re-soldered or just replace the pots and pickups all together. I've been to guitar center and they just look at me like an idiot when I ask where to start. So any help would be much appreciated.
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There should not be a "mess" under the control cover. Replacing the pickups isn't a great idea. Post photos of the control cavity and the pickups. That way we can see what you have going on.
  3. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

Well when I say mess it's just a whole bunch of solder globed on to the leads of each pot. I don't really need to replace the pick ups it's just two of the pots aren't working like they used to maybe a bad connection or something I have replaced the battery for good measure.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There should be a large green circuit board in the control cavity. This is the pre-amp. Underneath this large green board are the pots. The wiring should look relatively neat and organized. It should look like this -

[​IMG]

There should be no messy lumps of solder anywhere. If you're missing the green board, then someone has removed the factory pre-amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

Ok we'll mine looks pretty normal then aside from a few connections that are a little scetch. Do you do your own solder or have someone do it for you? And if I were to get new pots where would I go?
  7. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

On other thing both of my double stack pots have started making this awful noise when I turn the nobs. Almost like a record scratch noise but much louder.
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have a Weller soldering iron and do my own soldering. It isn't hard. Pots are available at Stew Mac, or any guitar parts supplier. A blast of contact cleaner in the pots will make the scratchiness disappear.
  9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Peavey Customer Service is awesome. I would start by calling them to try and get any parts you need.
  10. mech

mech

^^^This. Pot cleaner and following the instructions on the can will do the trick. If you don't know how to solder, take it to a good tech to go over it.

I've never seen TL-5 or DynaBass/Sarzo preamp that needed much more than the pots being cleaned or a solder joint being redone. An occasional broken switch on the 1st Gens.

mech
  11. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    +1 for Peavey service!

I needed a part replacement for a GV that I had, and they scoured the warehouse for one little bridge saddle piece, and sent it to me for free!
  12. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Peavey CS - (877) 732-8391. You can try asking for Steve. He is awesome.
  13. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

Thanks I'll grab some pot cleaner and let you know how it goes