1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey tl-5 2nd gen help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hit_the_lights, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

All my electronics are taking a dump on my tl-5. When I bought it it seemed to work fine even though I did pop the back open and find a mess back there. I want to either have it all re-soldered or just replace the pots and pickups all together. I've been to guitar center and they just look at me like an idiot when I ask where to start. So any help would be much appreciated.
  2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There should not be a "mess" under the control cover. Replacing the pickups isn't a great idea. Post photos of the control cavity and the pickups. That way we can see what you have going on.
  3. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

Well when I say mess it's just a whole bunch of solder globed on to the leads of each pot. I don't really need to replace the pick ups it's just two of the pots aren't working like they used to maybe a bad connection or something I have replaced the battery for good measure.
  4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

There should be a large green circuit board in the control cavity. This is the pre-amp. Underneath this large green board are the pots. The wiring should look relatively neat and organized. It should look like this -

[​IMG]

There should be no messy lumps of solder anywhere. If you're missing the green board, then someone has removed the factory pre-amp.
  5. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

Ok we'll mine looks pretty normal then aside from a few connections that are a little scetch. Do you do your own solder or have someone do it for you? And if I were to get new pots where would I go?
  6. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

On other thing both of my double stack pots have started making this awful noise when I turn the nobs. Almost like a record scratch noise but much louder.
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have a Weller soldering iron and do my own soldering. It isn't hard. Pots are available at Stew Mac, or any guitar parts supplier. A blast of contact cleaner in the pots will make the scratchiness disappear.
  8. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Peavey Customer Service is awesome. I would start by calling them to try and get any parts you need.
  9. mech

mech

^^^This. Pot cleaner and following the instructions on the can will do the trick. If you don't know how to solder, take it to a good tech to go over it.

I've never seen TL-5 or DynaBass/Sarzo preamp that needed much more than the pots being cleaned or a solder joint being redone. An occasional broken switch on the 1st Gens.

mech
  10. songwriter21

songwriter21 Supporting Member

+1 for Peavey service!

I needed a part replacement for a GV that I had, and they scoured the warehouse for one little bridge saddle piece, and sent it to me for free!
  11. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Peavey CS - (877) 732-8391. You can try asking for Steve. He is awesome.
  12. Hit_the_lights

Hit_the_lights

Thanks I'll grab some pot cleaner and let you know how it goes