Peavey TNT 115 Speaker Replacement Help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kdogg, Feb 28, 2010.

1. kdogg

kdogg

I just purchased a used Peavey TNT 115 bass combo for $100. The 15 inch speaker in the combo would not produce any sound, while the tweeter worked just fine. I pulled the unit apart and checked the 15 inch driver, first with a 9 volt battery, then with an ohm meter. The speaker made no sound and did not budge using the 9 volt battery. Testing across the speaker leads, the ohm meter showed the circuit to be open. Would this be indicative of a blown or damaged speaker? I'm not much of a speaker tech, more of a straight electronics guy, so I want to be sure I've properly diagnosed the problem to be a bad speaker. The amplifier itself tests out just fine.

So, if the problem is indeed the speaker, any recommendations on replacement speakers? Peavey has the direct replacement, 1502-8 BW, for $149.99, or you can replace the speaker basket for $81.99. Any thoughts on these options would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks Guys!

2. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

I'm no expert, but from looking at the Peavey site, I think the original speaker in your amp was the 1502-4 BW. I'll speculate that it is a 4 ohm speaker, which is consistent with the amp being rated down to 2 ohms. I'll also speculate that your amp may have an 8 ohm speaker in it as a result of repair replacement.

Anyway, the Peavey site has a search function to locate Peavey service centers, and there's 18 listed in Ohio. I'd get in touch with a Peavey authorized repair center.

Good luck. For the $100 you already spent and the cost of a simple repair, I think you'll end up with a very nice amp.

3. kdogg

kdogg

Yeah, looking at the website it looks like it should be a 4 ohm speaker, but the one that's in there now is definitely a 1502-8 BW, which I would assume is 8 ohm. I guess if I'm gonna replace the speaker I might as well go with the original 4 ohm version.

I feel the same about the $100 price tag. Even with some repair, I'll still have a great combo for a good price. I'm kinda stuck with it now anyway, as the guy I purchased it from will not return my calls or emails.

4. kdogg

kdogg

This brings up a question, if I go with one of peavey's replacement baskets, can I get the 4 ohm version, but reuse the magnet from the 8 ohm speaker that I currently have? The magnet rings appear to be the same on both versions.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

If nobody here on the forum knows the answer, I still think you should call one of the Peavey service centers. They may be helpful. No matter what, come back and let us know what it sounds like once it's up and running.