peavey tnt 150 vs fender rumble 100

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by beni_25, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Overall which is better?

1. Peavey TNT 150

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Fender rumble 100 1x15

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. beni_25

beni_25

hey everyone

After a VERY long time of looking for a new amp at a good price I came across a used peavey tnt 150 (claims to be in excellent condition). I need an amp big enough for jamming with a band and MAYBE very small gigs eventually. The amp I have been saving for and comparing things to is the fender rumble 100 1x15 so im just wondering how these two amps match up against each other. Which is louder, which has better tone, which is more reliable/durable and which is best bang for buck. Overall in your opinions which is the best amp?

thanks
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

That would be up to your ears to decide. I would guess the Peavey would be better built.
  3. RTL

RTL

You're talking about the one with the old logo and the metal strips on either side of the grill, right?

I've spent countless hours on both, as they are the house amps at two open mic/jams I go to often.

Bottom line:

The Peavey will be louder, is probably better built (as mentioned earlier), and will probably be nearly impossible to kill. However, I've played through so many of these, and I think they sound absolutely awful. I used to own a TNT130, and it was the worst sounding amplifier I ever had.

This isn't to say that the Rumble 100 is a tone machine - it's not. But I remember plugging into it and being pleasantly surprised. It's warmer sounding than the Peavey, better definition, better clarity, if a little weak in the volume department. It's also kind of noisy. I'm not a fan of those red lights in the bottom port either.. Kind of tacky.

I'd choose the Fender.
  4. kcolyar

kcolyar

+1 RTL, I have owned a couple of Peaveys over the years. Never, ever had a failure. Never, ever had the tone I wanted either. If it works for you tone wise, then you can't go wrong with Peavey IMHO, loud, bullet proof and durable in bar situations. I played a Fender 75 watter about 9 yrs ago that sounded incredible. It wasn't mine, so I have no idea if it is still working, but the tone was definetely warmer and smoother. I used it at an acoustic gig with two guitar players, a mandolin and a banjo. They all liked the tone and it was plenty loud for a small room.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JumboFriendly

JumboFriendly

I've played a Fender Rumble 100/210 and wasn't impressed at all. Not much volume, not much tone, not much fun. Don't know if the 15 is better or not.
  7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

TNT 130 is the bullet proof horse..

Most folks forget they're engineered for a band mix - not bedroom playing.

I've owned the Fender - didn't like it.

T.
  8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Used a TNT 150 a lot, it was late 70's vintage, IIRC. Loud, heavy, reliable. If you don't need a tweeter and you are not playing a 5er or down-tuning, get it if it is cheap.
  9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

I know you didn't ask for other options, but I'll give one anyway : The ACOUSTIC B100 combo. Better sound at an incredibly cheap price IMO. For more power at a slightly higher price, you could also look at the ACOUSTIC B200.
  10. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Link to Fender Rumble 100 Plot
    The Fender is a gutless wonder below 100 Hz.
    It is suitable as a practice amp, and little else.

My band uses one of these for intimate gigs as a drum machine. It runs maxed out even in small restaurant venues and home parties. Unsuitable for anything larger unless you mic it.

I played the TNT combo a few times. As noted above, it is heavy, fairly loud and reliable. No bottom.
  11. Jack

Jack

Cant go wrong with one of those Peaveys. They're just unkillable.