Peavey TNT150

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by foose4string, Feb 16, 2006.

1. foose4string

foose4string

I've got a TNT150 that I purchased new back in the late 80's. One feature that has been of particular interest to me lately is the variable crossover with high and low output jacks. Am I correct in assuming that the low output would be for running to seperate amplifier and the high output would be used for running an extension cabinet( 2 x 10" for example) without a second power amp? Would using a 4 ohm extension cabinet from the high crossover output provide any extra wattage or gain from the amp or how does that work?

This amp has not seen much use lately but has been a real workhorse over the years. I've always thought it did pretty well as a standalone, but sometimes wish I had the clarity and punchyness that comes with running 10" drivers. Also, when playing with a full band I remember sometimes wishing I had just a bit more headroom. Perhaps running a 10" extension would give the added headroom or even just the perceived loudness I am looking for?

I've also got GK 400RB from the same era that could could be used in tandem with the TNT or even by itself if I was to get a 4 ohm cab. Neither amp is super powerfull but I'm wondering if together I might have something? Although, I let a buddy use my GK 400 right after his Boogie head died to power his 6 x 10 Goliath(4 ohm) and he said he had plenty of sound.... and that was in a 4000-5000 capacity venue. Needless to say, he replaced the Boogie with a 800RB soon after.

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

It was designed to run a 4ohm extension cab .Best w/ 2x10's IMO.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Media:
    DO NOT plug a cabinet into the crossover outputs. That could likley damage the unit. Cabs are very low impedance and those crossover outputs are line level and expect a much higher impedance device(such as a power amp input), being plugged into them.

IF the tnt can run an extension cab there will be an extension speaker jack on the back of the unit.

4. whacker

whacker

I owned one of these from time of purchase (1990) to around 1999.

TNTs did not have external speaker outputs until the current generation units (with the red trim on the panel). Crossover outputs, common on the "TNT" and "Combo" models (and other Peavey gear) from the late '70s on up, as you've probably become aware by now, were for hooking up external (power) amps and their associated speakers. A few years after I first had the unit, I stumbled across another Peavey product that was tailor made for use with their crossover equipped amps: A powered 2x10 speaker! Kinda heavy (it had the same internal amp as the "Combo" Series (210 WRMS with the internal speakers, 300 WRMS with an extra 4 ohm load attached), but it vastly improved the range of gig sizes I could handle with the TNT 150. From the crossover, I'd run a very short homemade signal cable from the low out jack to the power amp in jack. Then another signal cable from the high out to the input jack of the powered 2x10. I selected a crossover frequency of around 250- 300 Hz, and that meant I now had the TNT's 150 watts working on just those freqs below that point, with the powered 2x10 stacked on top running the rest of the sound. Worked pretty good, especially as a rehearsal rig. Overall volume was controlled from the TNT's front panel, and the 2x10 had a volume for you to balance the highs. There weren't many of those powered 2x10 units made, however, but it was nice to have a matching setup.

So you aren't going to get very far unless you have another amp/speaker setup, and the best idea is to use the TNT's internal speaker for the lows, as it is kind of limited in the high range.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. foose4string

foose4string

Thanks for the heads up. I got a reply back from Peavey customer service this morning...man were they quick. They told me about the same thing as you whacker, but you explained it much better than they did having first hand knowlege of this combo. Anyway, I hate to get rid of what I've already got. Other than a dirty volume pot on the TNT, it has been a decent combo. Sounds like I just need to get a 2 x 10 or 4 x 10 cab to use with the GK then and biamp using the crossover on the TNT.

Another related question. Even though the TNT has more tone tweaks, I still prefer using the GK as the preamp, something about that GK tone that I like. Will I still get my GK growl running through the Peavey first? I'm thinking I'd rather use the GK preamp directly and have the Peavey as the supporting cast member, or does it make any difference when running a crossover like that?

Please forgive my ignorance, it's been quite a few years since I have actively played and I am just now getting back to it. Luckily I held on to some gear to get me started again. Just ordered my bass today, a Highway 1 Jazz, can't wait.

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Many years ago I did a show with backline - the sound guy used a TNT and another amp ( dont remember the brand)

He had it connected so the TNT would handle the low end and the other amp was set to out liking. I remember it sounding very good .. Sorry to be so vague on the detail but It was one of those set ups I always remember..there where two amps and he was running jacks out of the front of the TNT into the other amp...I remeber it being a guitar amp...

8. whacker

whacker

Honestly, Foose, if I were you, I'd keep the TNT 150, but I'd focus on using just the GK 400RB, and getting another cab to use with it, like a 4 ohm 1x15 w/tweeter or a 4 ohm 1x12, 2x10 or 4x10 (whichever meets your gig and/or aching back requirements!). The GK is going to sound more modern (for lack of a better term) and more GK-like (and be as flexible as anything you'd probably ever need), and separate cab and head are IMO easier to transport. Trying to get all into the rigormorole (never tried to spell that out 'til now) of bi-amping with a combination of pieces like you've got will probably just be more bother than the results would warrant. The GK head will likely be quite satisfactory for most of your needs. Again, just my opinion.