1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Tour 450 & headliner 210 & 115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VAPHAT1, Mar 25, 2014.

1. VAPHAT1

VAPHAT1

I just purchased Peavey Tour 450 & headliner 210 & 115 and I feel like I may have brought the wrong rig. The amp keeps clipping even when both speakers are running. Please somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong before I get rid of them. I need a travel package with some power. I play a Ibanez GSR205(active) and a Davison 5 string (passive) as a backup. Both with Cobolt strings.

HELP!!!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Not sure what's up, but if it's an issue of not getting loud enough, the amp is not the problem. I would've gone with two of the 1x15 cabs, but even that may not be "enough" for your needs. Think about a bigger cab, but make sure you don't mix spkr sizes. There is no advantage to running 10's and 15's together.

3. tgriley62

tgriley62

Get rid of one of those cabs and get a second identical cab. two 2x10's or two 1x15's with that amp should be pretty loud. Also what are you using as your EQ settings?

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Additionally, I would check to see that the cabs are wired in phase with each other.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

I have that amp but haven't used it for awhile...but I never had a problem with it clipping. I ran it with a PV Tour 415 and a Tour 115...at times together and at times each one separate. Cranked it up pretty loud too. I always set my gain pretty high and used the volume to control output. Check the push buttons on the right side and make sure you have them set right...there's an octave button (kozmos) that adds an octave down from what you're playing ( I always kept that off) and a DDT button that keeps your speakers from blowing. If you have that one off you may get some clipping. Make sure they're in the right position as shown on the face of the amp. The clip light should blink when the amp is keeping itself from clipping but should not cut out. I bought mine used and looked up the manual online which helped me a lot.

7. fkh006

fkh006

This ^^^^^^^^^^

I always check new (to me ) cabinets for phase.
    I've even had brand new cabinets wired backwards at the cabinet jack.

8. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

I have a Tour 450 and it is plenty loud with a 210 cab. As suggested, check your phasing on the cabs. As far as the amp goes, the preamp doesn't need to be turned up past 1:00 for an active bass. If you have dirt pedals, preamps, and other goodies before the amp... Turn down the preamp gain.

9. Fluid Power

Fluid Power

Had a tour 700 and you had to turn the gain to around 2 - 3 O'clock and like mentioned above, use the master to adjust the volume (around say 9 to 12) If your gain is down and the master way up it could clip

10. SteveV74

SteveV74

Hey I have the tour 450 head...I love it, works awesome, the other night though it got staticy and had to be turned almost all the way up, and it sounded real distorted...few minutes later its fine again, and has been since.....the guy at guitr center said it might be the output transformer....any ideas? Its been working fine, does this mean the transformer is on it way out? Should I still have it looked at? Someone please help, I love this amp, its my favorite item of gear that I own.

11. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Buy a can of De-Oxit and spray it into your effects loop jacks, then run a cable in and out of them a few times to clean out any oxidation. It might be a good time to take the cover off and clean all of the pots while you're at it.

12. SteveV74

SteveV74

Do u really think that was the cause? Where can I get de-oxit?

13. deathsdj

deathsdj

How does it sound? Are you sure it is not just that Peavey DDT circuit protection?

14. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I had the same problem on two rigs. (distorted sound and low volume.) Turned out to be dirty input jacks on the speaker cabs. Cleaned them and no problems since. YMMV

15. SteveV74

SteveV74

I was playing, it started to cut out and the volume got lower and it became staticy and distorted, left it alone for a few and it went back to normal, I had theDDT circuit and the Kosmos off(like always)

16. SteveV74

SteveV74

Would any of these things cause it to have lower volume and cut in and out like it was doing? And whats wierd is its working fine now.

17. SteveV74

SteveV74

Would it hurt it to spray some compressed air into the inputs/outputs?