1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey tour 700 triac help needed PLEASE

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bollocks77, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Bollocks77

Bollocks77

Hi everyone, I have been reading up on this triac problem and I am wanting clear instructions on how to check if my tour 700 has the triac and if so how to remove it. I cant find anything explaining in words or pics. I have tried emailing Peavey who have not replied to me at all. There is no Peavey dealership close to me either which means I am willing to do this myself if I can only find instructions. Hope someone can help me.
    Thanks in advance of any help anyone can give me.

Dave

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Got your email. I'll be back from California later today and will send the file to you.

3. Bollocks77

Bollocks77

That is excellent - thank you so much. At last I may get to solve this ongoing triac problem. I appreciate your help. Dave

4. Bollocks77

Bollocks77

Well I got the instructions emailed to me from a fellow forum member above - Thank you so much. To my great surprise when I opened up and looked exactly where the guide told me yo look NO TRIAC. Looks like it was never fitted but thank you so much for all your help. I I had to have taken it out - the instructions were very clear with pics to follow. If I can ever help anyone one day on here I certainly will. Dave

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PhatBasstard

I believe they stopped puting the Triac in after the first production run, so unless you've got a really early one it's probably not there.

7. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar

Is the head cutting out at all (as was the problem with the original triac - right)?

How do you like the amp? It's on my short list for a backup bar rig. Thanks.

8. bass nitro

bass nitro

Do you really have a triac problem or just want to cut it off just in case?
    I am asking you because i have Tour450 and never had any problem on gigs etc.Have read about this many times and i suggest that is valid for old Tour series.Just be sure what you intend to do to it before possible damage on the head.Good luck.

9. PhatBasstard

Two things here:
    1. I sent him the removal info and he emailed back that there wasn't even one inside. So he's got a post first production run Tour anyway.
    2. While care with electronics is always good, once the instructions are looked at, the Triac is so easy to identify and clean to remove, a monkey with a nail clipper could do it. :D

10. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

I've played peaveys on and off over the years (4 different models, old to new) and was kinda ho-hum on them- they always seemed to lack balls or were just kinda bland sounding.

Then I got a tour 700. HOLY CRAP. This thing will level an audience. TONS of low end and punch even at 500w (8 ohm cab) like most peaveys there are a ton of bells and whistles, but this time they actually work. High and low shelf, 10 band eq, contour knob (scoops the tone) pre/post gain, effects loop, tuner send, and a footswitchable octave thing that I never use.

My only complaint is that I wish it had a compressor like the Headliner 600, but that amp is way less power (300w at 4 ohms). If you've already got a compressor or don't need one then who cares... also the amp is heavy, like almost 40 lbs, but good tone is worth it.

I really like that it's 500w at 8 ohms, so it only requires one of my 4x12 cabs at gigs and it's still really loud. In fact, I have a matching 4x12 that would give me the full 700w but I am a little scared to hook them both up, because I'd get the speech from the soundguy that the guitarist with a JCM800 full stack usually gets.

Also used ones on ebay are pretty cheap: $250-300. New I think they are $500. Well worth it.

11. Bollocks77

Bollocks77

Hi all [ I really wanted to take the damn thing out just incase ov problems. But after I was kindly given the diagram - it was not there. The person I got it from had it from new and told me he never opened it - so I think it was post triac production.
    I totally love the feel and the tone and not to mention the power even at 8ohms. I always play with a spare amp and am gonna sell my old one and get another one of these. All I can say is I am very happy with this amp. Thanks everyone.

12. mimsy89

mimsy89

Hi guys

Sorry to revive old thread but I am having a problem with a second hand Peavey Tour 700 head where it's cutting out during practies and got a gig this weekend and recording next so need to get this sorted asap.

I believe it might be the triac problem.

I think i've found it. Is it TR3 on the circuit board? If so, how do I remove it?

Thanks in advance