1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Tour TNT or TKO?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jaxstarke, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Any thoughts on either one? I know the TNT is 600 watts and the TKO is 400 but I'm not looking to blow away the whole stage or anything. Was just wondering if anyone had given them a try or if they're worth it and whatnot. Also I'd like to put a 2x10 on top of one and was wondering if they have an ext. speaker jack? I've looked at some stuff online and it's conflicting. While you guys jib and jive and whatnot I'm going to search some threads. Thanks.

2. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

I've not played them, but the manuals for both the TNT and TKO show a extension speaker jack. IIRC, the consensus on these were they had lots of power and sound good, but they weigh a ton, are a bulky shape to transport and the placement of the controls are a lot less than convenient. For the cost of one of these plus an extension cab, I'd be looking elsewhere at a real head+cab rig.

3. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

The weight and shape doesn't bother me as I probably won't be going to too many places with it. As far as the controls I'm pretty much a "set it and forget it" kinda guy. I was mainly concerned with adding an extension cab. Now that I know I can add one then it's a done deal for me. I'm getting one. Was looking at some other threads about the TKO and didn't see a single negative comment. And LowEZ, for being the first and one and only responder I'll tell 'em LowEZ sent me. (although he did try to talk me out of it) HA! thanks

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

They are actually not 600 and 400 output watts. I read somewhere that the 600 and 400 represent the amount of power they consume from the wall outlet.

The actual output power of the Tour TNT is approx 200 watts as a standalone unit which increases to 300 watts when an extension cabinet of 8 ohms is added. The Tour TKO is in the 100 watts range as a standalone and 200 with an 8 ohm extension connected to it. Don't be fooled by the marketing hype of the Output power of these.

TD

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

Thanks Thornton. I caught on to that after reading a few other threads. Regardless, I've got my mind set on it. I used to use and play live with an old Peavey 115 combo that I bought used with a 2x10 on top I bought separately and I can't remember ever being unhappy with it.

7. jaxstarke

jaxstarke

I was mainly concerned with the ability to add an extension cab and if they were still worth the money quality-wise. The old one I used to have was a workhorse and you could move a lot of air and it sounded good to boot.

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I'm sure you'll be very happy with either model, and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. I just wanted to make you aware that they don't have 600 or 400 watts of output power.

Enjoy.

TD