Peavey TVX 4x10 users?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by shawshank72, Mar 28, 2014.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Anyone use this?
    Like to know how it performed and what you used to run it.
    How did it sound?
    I know its not powerful for a 4x10 but they are cheap.

2. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

It's a good cab. Dependable, sounds good, handles enough power to do the job.
    Weighs over 90 lbs, though.

I've been using the 410TX for a few years, which is 8 instead of 4 ohms.
    Have powered it with everything from an old AB Precedent power amp, a big QSC, an SVT3Pro, and now using a Peavey MKIII Bass head from 1980 or so.

I would say 200 watts is the minimum I would want playing with a loud drummer and rock guitarist.

In the studio they stuck a Telefunken and a Neumann mike on my cabs and the tone on our CD is exactly what everyone involved wanted, and our producer used to mix TOOL and Ministry so I'd say these cabs can do anything from country to the heaviest of metal.

I've compared it side by side with the Ampeg 410LH (?) and I thought the Peavey had a flatter response and less coloration of the tone, and responded to transients better.

I turned my tweeter all the way down and then a stagehand broke the shaft clean off, so can't comment on that part of the sound other than that the tweeter is made by Fostex.
    My 10" drivers are labeled as Peavey and have red paper cones.

I think 700 watts Program is plenty for a 410.

3. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

I use 2 TVX cabs and I do like the way they sound. I leave the tweeters off the drivers seem to do a great job on highs without them. The only thing I do not like about them is the weight but they are built like tanks. There are a lot better cabs out there but in their price range they are IMO the best.

4. bass nitro

bass nitro

Got two of them.They weights like cars,man but are cheap and sounds good.Some says that they are little muddy but what i think is that depends on amp attached on.I run them with Peavey tour and amp itself got plenty of options to get good tone out of them ,so...If you look for something reliable and cheap,go if not,look for something secondhand instead.
    Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass nitro

bass nitro

Running my tweeters almost completely off.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Wondering why so heavy?
    350w with 4 speakers dosent seem like heavy magnets are needed as say a typical higher wattage speaker cab.
    Wondering how it would handle the lows considering the limited specs.

8. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

For a long time, Peavey had a reputation for overbuilding their amps and cabs, which probably accounts for all the stories about gear getting dropped off a truck and still working. My a TVX410 served me well, but schlepping it in and out of my Subaru Outback during the winter was another story. My band mates, who used to offer to carry my gear, stopped doing so when they found out how much the cab weighed. After I fell on stage and tore a tendon in my leg, I parked the cabinet in the garage. 4 years later, it's still there, though I sold the speakers and crossover.

I currently use a pair of Peavey Tour 210s with neo speakers. They sound good, are well-built and sturdy, and best of all only weigh 45 pounds apiece.

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Not a TVX but I do have a 410TXF.

Built like a tank, good enough cab, plenty loud if it wants to be, a little bit on the muddy side (probably not helped by not liking the tweeter too much).

10. Noot

Noot

I have a Peavey 410TVX rated at 350W, 4Ohms. It is extremely loud, very heavy, bigger than other 410 cabinets and sounds very raw (as opposed to refined). The tweeter went dead and needed re-coiling, the jack went dead and needed replacing. But again, it is ferociously loud and has tons of low end. It's a beast :)

11. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

I have one. I use it with several different amps. 350 Watts @ 4 Ohms. I was just running a Genz-Benz GBE 750 through it. (I just don't turn it all the way up!)
    It sounds great , and the Tweeter is great for slap Bass.

12. fenderbass70

fenderbass70

I have one 410 TVX( one without the red badge on the bottom of the grill ). I leave it at the rehearsal space. I got it for $150 used in excellent shape. I use a GK rb 700II to power it. 320 watts at 8 ohms. Plenty of power for a bar gig. Sounds nice and beefy for the hard rock we play. Im actually looking for another just like it so I have two to play outdoor events like biker rallies and such. But ya know I just cant find one. Weird how that works sometimes. I use a two wheeled hand truck to move it as it weighs 103lbs.