1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey Users! I need your expertise!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Jul 29, 2013.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth Bass Player with Big Local Supporting Member

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I know a guy that is looking to sell this touring rig and I don't know enough about peavey gear to tell if this is something I should jump at.

He's offering 2 cabs (brand pending because the picture isn't terribly clear), a peavey 700 tour head, power conditioner, flight case, slip cover and cables.

He's asking 800.
    I have a bassman 50 with matching cab from '72 with the original tubes in it (all working :bassist:), but dragging that thing out every weekend is nerve wracking as I don't want to damage the best sounding amp I've ever owned. Not to mention the only amp I currently own.

Opinions? :eyebrow:

Thanks guys

2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

In the Houston CL there's a guy selling a bassman 100 70s head with brand new tubes for only 400$. Gig one and keep the other at home

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I can only comment on Peavey gear that I own and use regularly. An '82 Mark IV head and 2 2x15 Black Widow cabs and two 80's BW subs. Superb. Generally, all Peavey gear is built like tank, as the saying goes. :cool:

4. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Rough used market estimates-
    Peavey Tour 700 -$250-$300
    Power Conditioner & Rack Case- $100 - $150 (add another $50 if it's a furman)
    Covers and Cables - $50
    2 cabs -$300 to ? (depending on brand and model)

Without knowing more about the specifics I would say these prices are pretty average, not fantastic, but certainly not ridiculous either. I think you could do better for the same money, but again it does depend on the specific items.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Major Softie

Major Softie

Tour 700 is a nice head, and Peavey bullet-proof.

As the previous poster noted, the mystery cabs are the issue. The prices he lists are pretty accurate. So, if this has two very good condition quality 4x10's, then it's a pretty good price. If it's a couple poor quality 2x10's, then it's not a particularly good deal at all.

Let us know.

7. MrBKerth

The two cabs are the peavey 210 and peavey 115 bass cabs

Also it is my understanding that the "tour" in the name is part of the series as opposed to condition as its listed that way on GC's website.

8. MrBKerth

Also, every time I am about to buy a ss head there's always some review of the thing catching fire at a gig. This is no exception. Is this just someone being unlucky?

9. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

I have never heard of any issues with the Tour 700. It is a solid amp with a great deal of flexibility in the eq section. Peavey cabs are very solid(also very heavy) but do not have great resale. I think this is on the high side of the price range. I would offer between $500 and $600 if you try it and really like it.

10. MrBKerth

Would you instead go with a aa864 blackface bassman with matching cab for the same price?
    I know it's typically a six string amp but I was looking for something in an amp that would either replace my 72 silverface at gigs or to make me not feel so nervous bringing it out to bars.

11. alecduncan

alecduncan

The Peavey Tour 700 isn't a bad head, just terribly boring to me because I always compare it to the amazing Firebass/TMAX heads Peavey used to make. $800 is definitely way too much for that rig IMO, I've seen superior Peavey rigs go for half that. For $800 used I would look for a GK rig (I got a GK 1001RB-II & 410RBH rig for $700 a few years back), Hartke 3500/5500 with cabinet, or look for a nice vintage Peavey rig for cheap if you want that old school BW, solid state rig.