Peavey VB-2 Stack - Thoughts On The Rig/Price

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Jun 29, 2013.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if I can get some opinions. After many, many years, I am thinking of upgrading to a "real" amp, to wit: a Peavey VB-2 w/ 4x10 & 1x15 cabs (cabs are also Peavey - sorry, not sure of the exact model # of the cabs.)

I am wondering if anyone on this board has experience with this head, particularly if paired with these cabs. I know Peavey has released new tube heads (the VB-3 & the Michael Anthony signature head, which as far as I can tell is just a VB-3 with different colors and Michael's name on it, ha ha), which are more powerful than the VB-2 (300 watts versus the VB-2's 225) and likely more feature-laden...

This stack is on sale at a local mom n' pop music store for $1869 CDN (Canadian $$.) After taxes it'd come out to $2093.28.

Thoughts? Opinions? I am definitely leaning towards a tube rig when I get something...
  2. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

VB-2 is a nice head. I picked one up on Ebay which was a music store floor model for less than 700.00 US. Looks new and sounds great. A few years back people were getting them on closeout at GC etc for super cheap. Selling a used one for 600.00 if you don't like it might be a slow sale.
    People will tell you a 4x10 and 1x15 match is not a match.
    Either 2 4x10 or 2 1x15 so no issues. If you played it really loud at the mom and pop and the room was pretty big, then you decide on that issue. I think the concept is "phase cancellation" or similar. Hours of reading for and against the idea of using dissimilar cabs together. Good Luck!
  3. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

And if you do your search, start on Google, and it will hook you up to all the TB threads and Harmony Central threads way better than a TB search:meh:
    You will find that this head is plenty loud for most folks.
  4. iualum

iualum

Yeah, the head has ample power. No worries.

As for cabs, yep, it's always best for them to be identical. So in this scenario, a 410/410 or 115/115 is the best option. You decide which tone you prefer and/or how much potential loudness you want/need and/or how much money you want to spend, & double up on the cab that covers more of your bases more closely.

Lots of threads on mixing to check out. Bottom line is that identical boxes always work together (a 410/115 from the same manufacturer & same series is still mixing). Non-identical boxes (this is a better way to describe it) are always a crapshoot. You might like them. You might not. But even if you do like them, the strong odds are that you'd like identical cabs better. Possibly much better.

If someone must mix cabinets, a 4 ohm 410 & 8 ohm 115 (again, from the same manufacturer & same series) is one of the better choices. The 410 (which is two 210s) would get twice the power of the 115. A 115 can be kinda thought of as a differently configured 210. It moves about the same amount of air as a 210, a bit more actually. So what you have, in essence, is a 610 stack, & each 210 is receiving the same watts.

One box being 8 ohms & another being 4 ohms can be, & almost always is, a problem for solid state amps. The total load for a 4 ohm/8 ohm combination is 2.67 ohms. Very few solid state amps will support a 2 ohm load. And if they don't, they'll fry. But the VB-2 does 8, 4, & 2. So no worries in this regard.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Thanks for the advice guys. :)