Peavey VB2 questions...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sundogue, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Sundogue

Sundogue Supporting Member

I'm going to get a new Peavey VB2 and I just wanted to check with guys on TB who have played one or still play one and what your thoughts are on them like issues, reliability whether you love them, hate them, volume with them, what cabs you use with them, etc. ?

I'm getting a brand new one from an authorized Peavey dealer in trade for a mural I'm doing for the store, so I'm not looking into any other tube amps. I'm also getting some cash to boot, so I'm not shopping around...just looking for as much real world comments on them. I did a search and haven't found a lot on them that isn't old.

Anyone?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Run that puppy into a fEARful. And crank it.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Good amp with great customer support.
    They have their own sound so don't expect it to sound like a SVT or a Bassman.
    I never cared for the OD channel, and most people don't.

4. Sundogue

fEARful. Check. ;) Going to be building a 15 sub to go along with my 15/6.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sundogue

I've been a loyal customer of the music store for over 35 years, and their authorized amp tech just happens to be a guitar player I've played in bands with before as well.

I'm not too concerned if it doesn't sound like any other tube amp (I've played through SVT's, Mesa 400's, etc.). I also run through an amp modeler/effects unit so I can pretty much cop whatever tone I'm looking for...save for that ALL tube tone, which despite years of trying SS/pre's/pedals to cop it haven't quite gotten exactly what I'm after. Know what I mean?

7. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

The VB2 sounds better the harder you push it.

8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

^^^ This
    Match your cab accordingly so you can push the amp hard. A lot of times I would use just one 15 or 12 so I could push it hard without being to loud for the setting.

9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Well you are all set. Trust me, a dual woofer fEARful setup POUNDS with a pushed tube amp. Unless you are dumbfuqloud you will have more than enough with the VB-2.

10. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    To?... Loud?...

I dont understand. :smug:

11. Sundogue

Well diving back into all tube will certainly be an adventure. I haven't owned an all tube amp (though I've played through a myriad of them over the years) since like way back in the early 80's when I had an SVT.

Every time I've had the chance to play through one, I'm always saying to myself "That's what I'm looking for!!!" and then afterwards go back to my SS heads. Weight, cost, etc. always keeping me from buying one. But now I can trade my artwork for one so while it still will cost me in time, it will be more a labor of love so I'm jumping at the chance.

12. Sundogue

Well my new band is loud, but not doom loud. I'm currently running an old used Kustom 1200, and previously had a Carvin BX1200 bridged, and a power amp/pre...yada, yada. But I never really ran the volume on any of those amps very high to compete with quite a few loud guitarists. I think being SS, I just wanted headroom more than anything.

With all tube, headroom isn't really what I'm after. It's the tone...and I like a tube amp driven hard anyway. There is just some kind of tone I can't really describe...kind of like it's alive, like breathing with my playing. You know?

13. bassvi

bassvi

I got mine for a steal ($399) when they were blowing them out.... I believe mine may have been a first run or floor model. Worked great for a couple of years then finally the internal fuse blew. This was a problem with some of the early models. The Peavey authorized tech I took it too fixed the internal fuse (replaced the soldered in one with a user-changeable) and re-tubed it. It still sounds good but it really sounded great with the original tubes on my NV610. It shines with sealed cabinets. It's a great amp but I've got a Marshall VBA400 now that can do anything and actually my little Markbass 1x12 combo with a GB 212T neo recently has been a more portable great sounding solution. Loud gigs only happen for me outdoors in the summer anymore, LOL. I still like the VB2 a lot.

14. Sundogue

Thanks for the info. I had read about the dreaded internal fuse. It seemed that was only on early models and that issue has been resolved.

I'm not terribly concerned. I will have a backup amp anyway. My tech can fix/build anything. He built two Fender Twin clones and an Ampeg SVT head clone, from scratch, just for the hell of it. The dude is seriously in the upper stratosphere of genius (not just amps...I mean everything...like Einstein smart).

15. Sundogue

I'm also not concerned whther or not it sounds any different than another tube amp. Every tube amp I've ever played through sounded great to me. Decidedly different than any SS amp with a tube pre. I've never found a tube pre to be a substitute for an all tube amp. Those with one single preamp tube sounded worse than just a straight up SS on it's own. To me anyway.

Is there anything in particular about the VB2 anyone really likes or dislikes about it?

16. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I would add that I wouldn't get one of if what I was looking for was tube grind. It is a good sounding amp but at least for me and with the basses I have the clean channel never really got as grindy as I wanted it. Maybe with an active bass that would be different. The dirty channel was never my thing pretty much any decent dirt pedal sounded better.

If you are looking for clean tube goodness this amp is for you. If you are looking for grindy tube I would look elsewhere. Of course, as always YMMV.

17. Sundogue

I run my bass into a Zoom B2 which then runs into my amp. I can almost cop a tube sound and can certainly cop that grind if needed that way.

There are a lot of factors that play into getting that grind tone. Some amps will not overdrive until they are so incredibly loud as to be useless. A lot depends on the cab played through too. Either way, so long as I can get that "all tube" tone, I can cover the rest.

But thanks for the info. I've read elsewhere that the dirty channel sucks. Haven't played through one yet, so I don't know firsthand.

18. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I actually found out I liked the OD channel, true it's full on Distortion isn't amazing. But it's nice if you want a little dirt in your signal. Cranking the power section on this into distortion souds amazing. But through my 810 it's also loud enough to be heard all the way down the block.

19. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

How "tucked in" is the bottom on the VB-2?

20. Sundogue

What do you mean by "tucked in"?

21. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

For dislikes?
    I will give you some... :D

I had one (new) at home to see if it was right for me. It was not.
    Compared to my small amp (LMII) it lacks the last half bottom octave even with a four string bass, it has a lot of ground transmitted noise and hum, it is not stellar at both boosting low lows (to compensate for its lack of bottom) and adding a bit of 100-150Hz at the same time.
    My unit also rattled inside and not just from the tubes.
    I ran the amp in a "healthy" electrical enviroment; no harmonics from SMPS, dimmers, motors etc. Tried into various cabinets, EBS and Ampegs.

I am not impressed.