1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Peavey VB3 problem, HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ManMountain, Jan 24, 2013.

1. ManMountain

ManMountain

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vintage, Jim Dunlop Strings
    At high volumes my VB3 would make loud, popping and spluttering noises. Hitting the top of the amp would do the same thing.
    Taking the back off the amp and with the good old chopstick technique, it seems that when I touch the front panel of the amp from the inside I get this awful spluttering sound.
    My friend mentioned it sounded like a grounding issue but honestly I haven't a clue?
    I don't suppose there's any Talkbass guys that could give me any advice of what to look for or what to do before I take it in somewhere?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

If it makes unusual noise when on a vibrating cab it could be a Microphonic tube(pobably pre amp) . The easiest way to find out( if it can be done safely) is to tap on each pre tube with a pencil eraser gently and see if any of them ring or make noise. If they do then that is your problem. Also getting an isolation mat of somekind to keep some of the cab vibrations from the head will help too.

3. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

I guess the 1st thing I'd do would be to get in there and tighten down all screws and unplug/replug all removable connectors. Oftentimes a screw does double duty as a ground point. (But I have zero experience with that amp, so take what I say in context as it relates to your problem.) Still, go ahead & do what I said, because then you can cross those off your list of possible causes.

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

PM BbbyBld he works at Peavey!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ManMountain

ManMountain

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vintage, Jim Dunlop Strings
  7. Nemasis

Nemasis Supporting Member

This is a different issue but it concerns this amp head. Does anyone know if Peavey makes a cover for the VB-3? I am trying to protect from the elements when I gig.'

Thanks

8. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

I have a killer clamshell cover made for this amp by StudioSlips. I'd sell it to you for cheap if you're interested.

9. Nemasis

Nemasis Supporting Member

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I'm also checking local sources here in Texas.