Peavey Vs. Carvin Sub?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BayStateBass, Mar 5, 2014.

1. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Just wanted to get an opinion here. I want to start by saying that I realize neither of these are exactly high end, they are low-end units, but either one may fill my needs quite well and are in my price range. Looking to add to a sub to my system, it's a small club system, all Carvin components. Addition of a powered subwoofer is pretty much as simple as plugging in an XLR to the mixer. Looking to just add a little low end reinforcement for the drums and maybe some bass.

They are virtually the same price, but wondering which one you people think would be better. Current system is 400W to each main. Again, I am realistic about what they are for the price. But I'd like to hear if anyone has good/bad to say about these. I have been happy with my current Carvin stuff, for what we do, but my local Mom and Pop dealer sells Peavey and I'd like to support them if I can, as well.

http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/683/116926/PV 118D

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/LS1801A
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Peavey 119 db max
    Carvin 128 db max

If you believe them... then that would be the indicator.

I heard a pair of Carvin double 18's last outside season. I played a set behind them and then listened to the next couple of acts. I was not overly impressed. Not sure what they had for power, where they were crossed. User error ? A definite possibility.

BTW If you are going to add the sub, you should snag a decent 2 way x-over. A used dbx 233/234 can be had for $75 most days. Getting the lows out of your tops is a must IMO. If you have a powered board that drives the tops, hopefully you have main out and power amp in i/o on it. If so you can main out to the x-over, low side to sub, highs to power amp in. The Carvin at least has hi pass out. Pre set slope and either 80 or 120 hz. If those points work, cool. If you have the board right there close by the sub...

If you are running powered tops or passives with a separate amp, then maybe the Carvin feature set is enough...

A sub can richen up your sound, it can also save your tops...

When it comes to spec sheets, I frankly don't trust either of your suspects. I would be looking at QSC, JBL (PRX or better) or EV in that order.

I am researching the same topic at the moment. I am probably headed towards passive subs and a beastly old school big iron amp to drive them. My use is my band but also 'low end' sound company use... So I may be headed slightly more industrial as there could be some all day outside band-a-thons in my future.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

As 4Mal pointed out, I'd snag an external crossover and do things right. I've been happy with the quality of my Carvin tops so I'd have trouble springing for the subs if the need arose. I have no experience with the Peavey sub.

Riis
  4. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I like all things Carvin, and Peavy stuff has always seemed like it's very rugged.

I'd add a sonic maximizer to the crossover suggestion.