Peavey vs. Carvin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

ok, have followed the Peavey=Garbage thread and the opinion seems to mixed...some agree, some disagree, some are in the middle, liking some Peavey offerings but not others.

I think this is a fair comparison because both Peavey and Carvin offer moderately priced amps, instruments etc, and both seem (to me at Least) to be somewhat out of the mainstream as far as snob appeal etc. (or maybe i am wrong on this...if so, please feel free to chime in and straighten me out)

anyway, which do you prefer? for amps, instruments, cabs, anything at all really.

[​IMG]
  2. kokorollc

kokorollc Gold Supporting Member

Both offer very good Quality/ reliability at a reasonable price. You can't lose
  3. pflash4001

pflash4001

My only experience with Carvin is with a 16 channel console we used with a band I was in for about 10 years, my reel mounted snake that is part of my PA now, and 2 friends who have/had a Carvin bass. The console was solid, sounded good, and was very reliable. My snake has never failed me and I LOVE the fact it's mounted on a reel. Unfortunately, they don't make them like that anymore. I don't know why, because reel mounting makes it so much easier to handle. The basses feel great and sound solid. One of my buddies is considering ordering another one since his was stolen a few years ago. As far as Peavey goes, I've never had any issues with their gear. Like I said on the other thread, it isn't flashy or sexy, but it's solid and reliable. It won't let you down.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    I have limited experience with Peavey, but the Peavey equipment I have owned or used was good. The only two Carvin pieces of equipment I've owned are a 4X10 bass cabinet which I have abused the s#!t out of and it still keeps going and a PA head which I used for 10 years and then gave to my nephew who used it for another 10 years and I now use as a backup.

I have found them both to be good for the money, but if I wanted top of the line equipment I would probably look elsewhere.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I would pick a Carvin guitar or bass over a Peavey ( as well as many other brands) any day of the week. Cabs, I would go Peavey. Amps, mixers, etc.. Neither.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I love Carvin but I keep going back to the fact that they will only service their stuff in California and you have to ship it back out there and hope it comes back in one piece? Guitar Center sells Peavey
  8. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

This. I've used a ton of Carvin stuff in the past and occasionally something goes "poof" not necessarily Carvin's fault, just Murphy's Law. Anyhoo, Carvin has to go back to Cali for repair, Peavey is sold EVERYWHERE.
  9. bassbrad

bassbrad

I have much love for my Peavey and Carvin gear.

Bass wise I have 4 Carvin LB50 basses including my main Squeeze Taz and all Koa bass I have played for 30 years now. Peavey I have 6 basses and they are all great basses if not near perfection and were all amazing bargains.

I have a small Carvin PA that has done a fine job for many years of rehearsals and gigs.

I gigged and toured for many years (20+) using Peavey bass gear some of which I still have an use, it has never failed to sound just fine rocking loud and hard!
  10. zachoff

zachoff

Don't like Carvin's basses at all. Way too generic looking and not much to choose from as far as passive electronics go. They could be the best playing basses in the world and I'd still not play them for those two reasons. Peavey wins the bass category on the T-40 alone. :D Really though, I dig the look of the USA Peavey basses. Peavey's newer stuff is pretty generic looking too though... There, I said it.

I've never played through anything Carvin so I can't comment but the Peavey gear I've had has been solid, if not good (PA, PA speakers, amp, and preamp).
  11. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Never had an issue with either. Rock solid gear for the blue collar guys. I have used older Peavey power amps & speakers. I still have my Peavey Probass 1000 preamp. I also have used Carvin power amps, mixers and PA speakers. I use a HD1500 to power my bass cabs. No snob appeal, just good gear for those of use who don't have wads of cash to blow.
  12. 4dog

4dog

Use a carvin 410 cab, have for years , not one prob.
  13. Jarrett

Jarrett Supporting Member

I like Peavey stuff. I've played their amps in the past. Very reliable power sections. Their basses are nice, but in my opinion they are not on par with what Carvin is putting out right now. Unfortunately, most players will never know that.
  14. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Tied for me. Had some nice Peavey basses and a couple bass amps over the years. Started playing guitar on a Classic 50 Peavey amp. Owned and gigged an x100b guitar head and custom Carvin cabinets for years with no problems. Never had issues with any Carvin or Peavey products.
    Don't understand those who say "garbage" about either company's offerings. (I haven't tried anything new from either company in years though, so maybe things have changed.)
  15. Mushroo

Mushroo

I learned to play in Daddy's Junky Music territory in the 80's, so I'd be hard pressed to think of a musician in my peer group who hasn't used a Peavey bass/guitar/amp/cab at some point.

I only played a Carvin bass once, but it was quite nice.
  16. DeadGoonz

DeadGoonz

I have owned a couple Peavey basses and many amps when I was younger because of the low $ of used gear locally. Never really liked them, always seemed cheap and not much build quality from my experience. I have heard they made some nice basses in recent years but I just don't trust/like them.

Bought my first custom Carvin 5er about 3 years ago and could not be happier with it. Looks, plays,and sounds incredible. Can't wait until I can afford a new Icon 5er. No experience personally with there amps, but I had an old guitarist who loved Carvin amps/guitars.
  17. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Both solid and unspectacular. When resources are tight, both brands are good places to begin a search.
  18. Jarrett

That's funny, after a couple of decades of searching, I ended up with Carvin.
  19. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Think of how much you could have saved if you had started there. ;)
  20. Jarrett

Nah, its process. Gotta play the expensive stuff long enough to know you don't need it. Otherwise you'll always think there is something better out there.

I wish I had the $100k back I've blown on the gear hunt over the last 20 years :bawl:
  21. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I use a Peavey Tour TNT 115 and I love it. It is a bit heavy.

I used to play through a Carvin R1000 with a 410 and 115, and it was pretty decent as well.

I prefer the Peavey for portability and easy of use.