1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey Vypyr combo question for BbbyBld

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Nov 13, 2013.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Hi there.

Recently I found what I think is the perfect solution for single small gigs I'm doing over the holidays. I found the Peavey Vypyr series, small 12" combo amps that have channel switching and can do both guitar and bass amplification, have dual channels, and a footswitch input. So I thought, perfect! I want 2.

However, when I read the specs, I could not find anywhere how the signal could be sent to a p.a. No XLR or 1/4" out. So I sent an email to Peavey asking them, how would I send my bass amp or guitar amp signal to the p.a. system?

I received back a rather vague answer. The guy never said it didn't have a pre/post out, but he sent a link to a D.I. box with XLR to the mains. I didn't want a D.I., I want a Peavey amp with an out that I can send post to the p.a.

The only outputs I see on the Vypyrs are the 1/8" headphone connectors. Am I wrong, or is there another way to send a post signal to the p.a.?

Thanks
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    A quick search does not find any vypyr's for bass. All I'm seeing are modeling guitar combo's with openback speakers....definitely not a solution for bass. They run a usb output for recording software and if gigged, they'd be mic'd up like any other guitar amp.

If you want all the modeling to play on bass, could get a head only version I guess and run it to a real bass cab, but even so, they're not very powerful. Biggest one maybe 100watts. Again, they're guitar amps. Guitar players are smart enough to eschew DI's and use mics.:)
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

From Peavey.com:

"Overview
    Once again Peavey Electronics revolutionizes the modeling amp industry. Introducing the world's first Variable Instrument Performance amplifier, the VYPYR® V.I.P. The world's first amp that contains Bass guitar, Acoustic guitar and Electric guitar amplifier models. Now for the first time ever using our Variable Instrument Input a single amp can provide amplification for a variety of instrument types. Not only does the amplifier morph from a bass amp to an acoustic amp, to an electric amp."

"6 bass amp models
    6 acoustic amp models
    On-board looper (with optional Sanpera I or II)
    WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) controls
    Amp accessible real time dual parameter controls
    Amp accessible global reverb and delay
    26 Total on-board amp accessible effects
    Tap Tempo
    Bi-directional USB - Data
    Midi - Audio record out
    Studio quality headphone out"

This would be more of a throw in the car amp for me. I would have used the D.I. in a pinch if necessary. In a regular show, I wouldn't be in a pinch, I would have my own D.I. and mic/boom stand for the FOH.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    That's pretty cool they have all the different models in one amp. Would pretty handy for recording. I just didn't see anything that looked to have bass capable speakers. The lack of a DI is odd.
  5. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Honestly, it's not suitable for bass gigging as a standalone because of the speaker, but they are good for guitar gigging. These amps have a built in audio interface, so that's where the bass toys are most usable in my opinion--home recording. In my opinion, these would be more for the guitar player who occasionally plays/tracks bass, or for the bass player who needs a practice amp and also happens to play guitar.
  6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Thank you very much. That's the answer I was looking for. End... :)
  7. Eight_Stringer

Eight_Stringer

Agree with the many here, you have the wrong amplifier in mind for your idea. Although ( and a big caveat ), bought a faulty VYpyr30 while back and repaired it, just happened to throw the 8 string bass ( 2 course 4 ) onto it...wow some interesting sounds in the higher registers. The usual bass frequencies were there though, in my view, not useful as a stand alone bass amp combo, if that makes sense.

BbbyBld, summed it correctly.

In electronics you seldom get something for nothing...Regards.
  8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Bbbybld, thank you and also thank you Eight Stringer. It's so cool to talk to a Peavey guy. :D

Is there a Peavey Museum in Meridian? If I visited I could look at all the old amps I sold and have a crying jag... lol....

Amazing how the oldest Peaveys made in USA are still as strong as day one and selling at a premium on eBay, pawn shops, and music stores! Good job Peavey!
  9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I sometimes wonder how they manage to sell any new gear at all when most of the 40 year old stuff is still out there working.
  10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Ditto. Most of the time I think it's too many falls off the back of a truck that kills the amps lol. As Bobby stated in another thread, things keep getting crazy light and smaller. And the features and tone capabilities on the new Peaveys are awesome. I just happen to be an old fart that likes that "classic" (read old) bass sound. Solid, round, bottomy and distinct to my ears.

I wonder why Peavey hasn't jumped into the fray of ultra small ultra light amps and cabs....?
  11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Well, they ain"t exactly known for making lightweight stuff. :D

But, I agree they could make some crazy powerful, lightweight, and 2-ohm stable bass heads built around using one channel of their IPR series of poweramps as the power section.

They are still making Black Widow loaded 215's, which I think is pretty cool.
  12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

215 Black Widow cabs = flapping pants syndrome. :D
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass

Wow! Thanks Tom, on my way! :bassist: