1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Peavey with Bart pickups?..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christofolo, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Christofolo

Christofolo

Happy Holidays All!

So I got a hold of a Grind 4 bass for Christmas and was thinking of replacing the stock pickups it came with. I saw alumitone pickups as one solution but I am iffy on those so I'm considering bartolinis of the proper size. I'm going for a balanced and clear tone for punk/funk/rock tunes and preferably in a passive setup (dunno if that makes sense lol).

What do you guys think? And should I get new pots to go with them? I know how to solder and all I just never done this sorta mod before so I'd appreciate any input :D

Please and thank you.
  2. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Barts are great pickups.
  3. jobo4

jobo4

Hard to go wrong with Barts. The Classic series are better for full range iirc.
  4. Christofolo

Christofolo

Sounds good, reason I asked about replacing the pots is that it seems one of them is loose and potentially causing some static? When I dial it back to zero the static goes away but comes back when I play it with the knob dialed full.

Perhaps it's not wired with a proper ground?
  5. xMaxBASSx

xMaxBASSx

I have a 6 string grind and i put bart m56cbc's in it and WOW it sounded so much better. I like them a lot and they work great for my Prog metal band which show versatility because we go from really light parts to black metal and then to funk and my bass sounds great for all of them
  6. xMaxBASSx

xMaxBASSx

also i only replaced the pickups i didnt add any new pots or a preamp or anything
  7. Christofolo

Christofolo

I've been eye-balling the M34C-T-4 and B-4, they got humbuckers which help me get that clear tone. Anybody tried these? Seems the dimensions are fine but I'm not sure. I'll be home later to measure them!

Nvm lol, my pickup dimensions are 1" x 4"... Did I measure the width wrong or what because I can't find Barts in those dimensions. The width of my cutout is too short to drop in the barts I was looking at.
  8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I'd start with a preamp
  9. Christofolo

Christofolo

Ok I goofed and read the lines wrong but it's got the proper sizing lol.. Sigh...

As for a preamp, I suppose butni thought I only needed to upgrade the pickups? Isn't there a Bart preamp already on the grind? That's what I've heard.