Peavy Mark 3 a little info please?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BaileyMan, Mar 3, 2014.

1. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

I just picked up a Mark 3 with a 1x15 cab (free from a friend, thanks buddy!), but it's different than most that I see out there. I haven't been able to find out much about it. I didn't have very high hopes for it. Peavy has never been high on my list for killer tone. After 1 day of playing around with it, I'm actually kinda happy with it. Don't know that it'll stay my main player, but until I can afford something else it'll work.

Anyone know more about these guys? What I can tell so far is that it's a solid state head with two 150W outputs @ 4 Ohms, wired in parallel (for a total of 300 watts). I opened it up last night to clean the pots and sliders and there is tons of unused space inside that big ole box! What a simple and straightforward amp. A couple of circuit boards, with not much clutter, and one heavy a$$ transformer.

I can't find any online manuals, not sure of the year, would love to know the details about all the knobs and such.

[​IMG]

2. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

3. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

It is not two 150 watt outputs, rather it is one output with two jacks wired in parallel. Output is 150 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load.

The "Series 300" designation is a "peak" power rating not RMS.

4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

I know I should know the answer to this question, but I don't...What exactly does that mean as far as power output and cabinets?

If I have one 4 Ohm cab, I'm looking at 150 watts RMS and if I have two 8 Ohm cabs, also 150 watts RMS? If I have one 8 ohm cab, less than 150 watts RMS?

Thanks!

7. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

With either 1 4 ohm cab or 2 8 ohm cabs you'll be getting 150W RMS. If you hook up 1 8 ohm cab you'll be getting slightly over half the power rating - so probably something like 85-95W.

8. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

Cool. Thanks! For only putting out 150 watts, this little bugger has pretty good volume...

9. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

yep!

I had one of those for years, it was the beachside amp, snow pack amp, backup for everyone amp.
    Those things are indestructible!
    I've had mine fall out of cars/trucks/vans, left out in the snow, baked for days in the scorching sun, and damn, that thing kept sounding pretty darn good, and was pretty much always able to keep me heard above the marshalls.

That one looks in great shape, should last forever and sound good while doing it.

10. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

It is in great shape. Been sitting in a friend's living room for about 5 years. The 1x15 cab was their TV stand, the head was just "furniture" next to it. After cleaning the pots, sliders and input jacks, all the scratchiness is gone.

I'm still trying verify that the matching 1x15 cab is a 4 Ohm cab. I'm guessing it is...There's nothing on the outside that gives me any clues and I've been having a hard time finding anything online about it. It doesn't help that portions of the model number and serial number have been worn away.

11. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

^ Good info here. Peavey always tended to underrate the power levels of their amps so it's probably closer to 170 actual watts that the mark 3 is putting out at 4 ohms. I have a couple Peavey mark series amps. To get the most out of these things , crank the post all the way up. Use the pre to set the loudness you want. I usually ran mine with both the bright and punch buttons pushed in. The eq settings depended on the bass I was using at the time. For my P Bass , I added some mids (frowny face.) For my passive Ibanez , I scooped the mids a bit (smiley face.) For my sons Ibanez with the active built in pre amp , he usually ran it flat.You will want to play with the eq for your particular bass i'm sure. The two knobs on either side of the eq slider are the shelving. They will push or diminish the bass boost and treble boost across the board (kinda like a simple tone control on the old stereos.) Use them to get your general sound and then dial it in with the eq sliders. I don't think this model will go down to 2 ohms so check the min ohm load on the back by where the speakers plug in to be sure. Running less than min recomended ohms will overheat the amp and could blow it. With two 8 ohm speaker cabs (a 4 ohm load) , this thing thunders. Have fun.

12. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

If you had a digital multimeter, you could measure the speaker's DC resistance and we would know if it was 4 ohms or 8 ohms. A DC resistance measurement around 3 ohms means it's a 4 ohm speaker, around 6 or thereabouts means its 8 ohms.

Or pull the speaker out and look at the numbers printed on it.

13. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

I do have a multimeter, but no idea how to measure the DC resistance. I'm guessing it's easier to just pull the speaker. I'd probably have to do that anyway to measure the resistance, right?

14. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

No, you don't need to pull the speaker if you have a meter. Plug a speaker cable into the cab, but not into the amp. On the unused plug end, put one meter probe on the plug's tip, and another probe on the plug's shield (the technical name for the larger part of the plug). Have your meter set to ohms.

15. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Just set your meter to DC Ω and put one lead to tip of speaker cable, one tip to the ring. Plug in speaker cable to cabinet. Voila'.

16. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^^^ or what he said.

17. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

Sounds easy enough...thanks fellas!

18. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

...and easy enough it was...it's a 4 Ohm cab. These are good things to know...

19. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

I had my first gig with this little guy last night. My friend who gave me the amp came by to check us (the amp???) out. He came up to me afterward and said, "Wow! That amp sounded good!" I think he was almost regretting getting rid of it...I wish I could have been in the audience to hear how it sounded with every thing else at a higher level than living room practice.