1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pedal advice please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wallygator, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Wallygator

Wallygator

Hey there,

Ok so I have a 3 pedal BOSS board. So far I have two of the spots filled with a tuner pedal and the OD-3 Overdrive pedal. For Christmas I received some gift certificates for my local music store to complete the pedal board. I have been listening to pedal demos all day and would like to hear your suggestions and why. Has to be a BOSS pedal and if it helps I mostly play classic rock to heavy metal and some punk stuff.

Cheers.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

3. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Does it HAVE to be BOSS, or just BOSS sized? There are plenty of options if it's the latter. I'd also recommend a compressor, but have no BOSS experience personally.
  4. Wallygator

Wallygator

Well, the pedalboard is the BOSS BC30 and I was under the assumption that only BOSS pedals will snap in properly to the case
  5. BFunk

yeah, i would recommend a Maxon CP9-Pro+ if you want something that is boss size. I assume you have a one of those boss plastic pedal cases that will only work with boss pedals. I don't know if it will work with Maxon 9 series or not.
  6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

If it has to be BOSS I would go with..

This

[​IMG]

or This

[​IMG]

or THIS!!! IMHO

[​IMG]

actually i think the Behringer line of pedals

[​IMG]

as well as the Digitech line

[​IMG]

are all the same shape and size of the Boss Pedals
  7. BFunk

Do yourself a favor and dump that crap. A piece of scrap plywood is way cooler than that piece of wanna-be kit.

:bag:
  8. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

+1 on the CEB-3 bass chorus, or perhaps the OC-2 octave.
  9. Snakeman1066

let the guy play what he likes...some people actually like digital pedals....

He asked for advice on BOSS so give him advice on BOSS
  10. Snakeman1066

[​IMG]

Very cool pedal...used to have one many moons ago
  11. BFunk

I was referring to the case.

[​IMG]
  12. Wallygator

Wallygator

To be honest, other than the tuner I am not big into pedals. Like the ODB pedal once in a while, it dirties up my Sabbath tone for a couple of songs. Just figured I would fill the case :)
  13. Wallygator

Wallygator

I found the case useful for protecting them and a quick easy set up for practice and gigs
  14. Snakeman1066

I still say the Chorus (i think all bass players should own one)

or equalizer if your amp doesn't already have one
  15. icecycle66

icecycle66

For A different distortion sound you could through the ODB-1 on your board. I get some hate for this, but it is one of by favorite distortion pedals.

Other than that, I concur with Snakeman:
    I have all those pedals and I like them all.
    In order of what I use most to least:
    Bass EQ
    Flanger
    Bass Chorus (That Effect Volume and the Cut control really help get just what you want out of this pedal.)
  16. icecycle66

icecycle66

What ever you end up with, I'd love to see the final picture.
  17. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

No real problem using the BCB-30, IMO. The only issue I have with it is that it limits the player to 3 pedals. :). I have a BCB-60 that I now use for my acoustic guitar set-up and it does just fine. It was my first bass pedalboard and after mercilessly gutting it, I could put up 10 pedals in there.

Going back to OP, my first recommendation would be the LMB-3, it works much better for bass than the CS-3, as previously posted. If you don't need compression or your amp has a decent comp/limiting option, than the CEB-3 would be a great addition, as well as the BF-2 or the BF-3, flangers that can be set up for chorus effect.

I just compared sizes between a Digitech BassDriver and a TU-2: as suspected, the Digitech is slightly bigger than the Boss, so I'm not sure they would fit in the BCB-30.

If you're OK with padding the compartment a bit, you can use smaller pedals such as MXRs or EHX's nano series. Opens up options a bit, but I would still stay within above recommendations.

Have a great Holiday Season and 'till the next Habs/Leafs pow-wow:)
  18. Turtle71

Turtle71

Well, only having room for JUST one more limits your choices. :D

But, for BOSS pedals, I'd say the CEB-3 is hard to go wrong with, a very nice wallet friendly chorus.

The bass EQ is nice, but only if your amps EQ functions are limited AND you don't mind loosing pedalboard real estate for a "utility" pedal....can be used as a decent boost pedal as well.

The OC-2 is a very nice octave choice if you're into that.

The LMB-3 is decent for the price, but not the best comp/limiter out there by a long shot.

The BF-3 is a fun pedal too :D
  19. Sheffield

Sheffield

Any of these arrangements would work

Tuner-BF2 or BF3-ODB3
    Tuner-CS2-ODB3
    Tuner-OC2 or OC3-ODB3
  20. Bassnoise

Bassnoise

If I were trying to fill that slot I'd probably go with the chorus maybe flanger