1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pedal Board Order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gazzatriumph, Dec 28, 2013.

1. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Hi all, first, happy new year to everyone, Im not in to effects too much but have a MXR M87 compressor, An Ashdown Chorus and a Korg tuner, could you please advise which order on a pedal board they should be placed, im not looking to add any others, cheers.

2. Reaper Man

Reaper Man Supporting Member

That's all really up to you.

I would go tuner, chorus, compressor

Try out different orders, see what you like best.

I would keep the tuner first- unaffected signal...

3. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Cheers for reply, that's was what I was thinking but wanted peoples opinions thanks again

4. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

tuner, compressor, chorus. Comp before time based effects. It makes them stand out more.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

That's the 1st order I'd try. But I had a chorus pedal that worked well either before of after the comp. Some chorus pedals have volume swells, so I guess before comp makes sense.

7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I do tuner, comp, chorus, but my reasons are irrelevant to your setup; they relate to other pedals I'm using. I'm not sure it makes too much audible difference whether you put chorus before or after compression. Tuners usually go first so you can hit them with the cleanest signal possible.

The only "wrong" thing to do here would be to have the tuner somewhere after the chorus. And that's only "wrong" if you forget to turn off the chorus before you tune.

Other than that, I predict that there would be no audible differences whichever way you hooked these three pedals together.

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I am new to compressor and I didn't know that, I will change the order on mine. Thanks. :D

9. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Sure. Comps often 'clean up' the signal by making the attack, sustain, and decay portions of the note's envelope more distinct. This helps time based effects stand out more. I would say this is more true with non-modulating time based effects such as delay, tremolo, and reverb, but helps modulating ones too.