1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pedal board order...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Jan 5, 2013.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

This has been asked often on here but with specific pedals like brand and stuff which is not important I don't think.

I have a tuner, compressor, overdrive and direct box.

Should they go in that order right?

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

This answer depends on your needs. Did you want to have a compressed overdriven sound being sent into your DI?

Did you want to compress your overdriven tone or overdrive your compressed tone? There is no right answer, just what serves your sonic goals most effectively.

3. Reaper Man

Reaper Man Supporting Member

^ right. If it were me, I'd go tuner>overdrive>compressor>DI

Or DI in front if I wanted clean to "the house"

4. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

I think compressor will always be on and overdrive will be here and there for certain songs. I figured the cleaner slightly leveled out sound from compressor should run first then the OD and then all into house basically. I am new to all this stuff so just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

With so few pedals, there's no reason NOT to try every combination, and choose the order by listening to the results.

7. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

yep, this sums it up pretty well.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

IME if there's a front of house, they'll have a compressor to send you through, and will:

a) prefer theirs to yours
    b) know that compression is not a sum of compression levels, but a product of the two compression levels. in other words, be prepared not to use it in many gigs.

If you're using an amp onstage, depending on the size of the venue FOH will often prefer to maintain a clean signal for consistency, and have you use the overdrive only through your stage rig to add color there, but not through their subs and PA.

Again, YMMV.

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Lately I've been thinking about the compressor's spot on the board in a new way. All you need to do is answer the following question: which are you trying to level out, the signal coming out of your guitar...or your other pedals? If, like me, you got a compressor to level out my playing spikes then the compressor goes first (right after my tuner). If the answer is that you're trying to tame an envelope filter or some other crazy pedal that spikes your levels, then put it after that.

In your case I don't know how much it matters since you're only using an overdrive. But that overdrive still might change your level, and thus necessitate a change on your comps sensitivity level, every time you engage it. I'd put the comp first.

10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I personally would put them in exactly that order. My reasoning is that I want the cleanest signal possible hitting the tuner, so that's first. And I'd want my effects going to front of house, so DI goes last. As for what's left in the middle: I don't like the sound of compression after OD. It seems to dull or tame the OD (to my ear anyway). The other way around sounds better to me. YMMV.