1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pedal Board power problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Mar 28, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Hey guys,
    I just put my first pedal board together and I have a problem.
    here is what I have in signal chain order:
    EBS Multi Comp
    Joyo Ultimate drive
    Joyo Classic Chorus
    Zoom B2
    I was hoping I could power all that with an I-Spot power supply
    But here's my problem. All pedals are relatively quiet except for the Zoom B2. It creates this high pitched background tone. Almost like an A440. I moved the power cables around, tried different configurations, nothing.
    The only thing I could do to get rid of that tone was to hook the Zoom up to it's own power supply.
    I really wanted to just have the I-Spot. I don't like having all of the cables cluttering up my space.
    Do you guys know what the cause for this could be and if there might be another way to get the Zoom to stop doing that ?

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Could be a little difference in the supplied voltage
    Could be a bad transformer
    Cou be so much - I am busy to figure exactly the same thing out on our guitarist pedal board, and I have a gut feeling that the JOYO pedals are a problem. You mentioned the UD, our guitarist (and me too) use one of those, too.

Did you try to hook all pedals to the ZOOM power-supply (use a daisy chain)?

My Line6 G55 has the same issue - whenever it is powered by any other than its own supply it introduces a high pitched noise. The Line6 wire is filtered with a ferrit-core. I just hooked the daisy chain to the line6 supply and everything is well

3. sketch

sketch

I very frequently get hi-pitched noise when using the 1spot. That's the nature of that type of power supply. Try different outlets, and try the digital pedal first off the tap getting power.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Digital pedals don't usually like daisy chained power supplies. There isn't anything you can do to change that. Doesn't mean either item is a bad product, they just don't work well together.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

So I tried a bunch of different power supplies. I had an EBS switching one, I had a zoom wall wart and also a bunch of the older clunky ones. Some were rated above 1500 ma
    The old style made the high pitch disappear a bit because they introduced a loud hum.....
    So at this point I guess I'll have to live with using two power supplies.
    I hate to take the Zoom B2 out because it does a really great octave above and I use the reverb and the delay.It also has Noise reduction which seems to be a good thing because the Joyo classic chorus seems to brighten the sound to the point where I get quite a bit of hiss.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm, I've never heard any hi-pitch noise from my One Spot... it works perfectly with my five nano (1590a) size petals - but, maybe I'm just lucky.

OP: Other than trying a whole different power supply or the separate pwr supply for the Zoom, I don't have a quick solution - sorry. Best wishes and good luck.