Pedal chain question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adece, Jan 29, 2014.

1. adece

adece

Disclosures:
    Local Dealer for VFE Pedals
    Hi. I have started purchasing dedicated pedals after having the Zoom B2X for so long.

My first was the Markbass Compressore which is performing as expected - amazing! Now I want an overdrive box (I'm between the MXR M80+, the Sansamp or the Xotic BB Bass Preamp).

My question is: what goes at the end of the chain? Compressor or DI?
  2. El Raro

El Raro

Well, I want all of my effects to affect the front of house sound so I always have my DI at the end of the chain. The soundguy hooks himself in and sends my board's signal to his desk through my DI and I just use my rig as a stage monitor. Never failed on me.

The compressor, in my opinion, should be placed as soon as possible on the signal chain. That way, you can regulate the eveness of your signal first and then throw your effects over it while maintaining the initial regulated sound. That's my understanding, anyway. Compressors are really subjective topics and no one answer is right over the other. DIfferent comps react differently depending on amps, setups, pedals etc. My advice would be to buy one and see where it works best for you in your particular chain.
    But for what its worth, my opinion is to place it early on. Right after yout tuner (if you have one) or simply the first thing you plug your bass into.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I agree with the above, although I stick my tuner wherever it fits best only board.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Definitely DI at the end - unless of course your effects are only for your on-stage sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad