Pedal Compression vs. Onboard Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lilcrate, Feb 24, 2014.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

I've never used compression at all. I have an Aguilar TLC compression pedal on the way I intended to use with my TH500. I also have an Ampeg PF 800 on the way I am going to mess around with. So my question is:

When using the Ampeg will the onboard compression be adequate or would using the pedal make a substantial difference?

2. Creeper2

Creeper2

The on board is more than adequate. I never used to used compression at all but I love it on my pf 500. And less to worry about, no batteries to change like a pedal.

3. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Particularly if you are incorporating some dirt on your pedalboard, you will find the compression in the final stages to keep volume regulated. Others incorporate compression pretty close to first in the chain (after the octaver). For my needs I found that a more "effecty" compressor in the early stage and a more "studio-like" compression at the end really brings everything together nicely.

But that's just me.

4. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I kind of like the idea of incorporating both if I can find a sweet balance and not overkill it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Strokerbass

Strokerbass

Noob question no. 1
    After almost 20 years as a lead guitar player I took a bass gig last April. The strangest thing has happened in the 10 months. I fell head over hills in love with 4 strings but my knowledge of effects is sorely lacking on bass. I recently bought an Acoustic B200h head along with a B410 and a B115. I've been struggling this whole time trying to get that really heavy bottom end and failing miserably. The other night I tried playing thru an old guitar multi effects pedal that I used to get some fat guitar tones out of. I just used the reverb in the pedal and then added some compression and tada!!!,
    Huge bottom end. I have read posts that go both ways on compressed bass signal. The main thing that I need to know is this, if I build my tone around the compression will I regret it later? Is there a more simplistic approach to getting bottom you can "feel"? Last but not least, this thing is driving my amp pretty hard at about 9 o'clock on the volume nob, will it damage my speakers even though there seems to be 0 distortion or speaker farts of any kind I'm pretty sure that it's plenty loud at that level to be good in about every inside venue that my band plays.It shakes the floor and windows on the bottom floor of my house and may even be too much.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cxxxx

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You are absolutely on target by observing whether the speakers are farting/distorting. That's the one reliable key to know whether there's anything wrong with how strong a signal you're putting out.

There's also nothing wrong with using compression as part of the core of your sound. Once in a while you might want to switch it off for variety, and to hear whether your tastes and skills have changed over time; but it's all good.

Be sure to check out the FAQ linked in my sig, and that goes for the OP too. :)

8. jorby

jorby

Personally, I live with compression on my bass and I love it. I started with a pedal compressor a few years back and have since moved to a rack with a comp pedal on my board. Compression with a little bit of reverb on a bass makes a huge sound, I love it. People like Victor Wooten will say your hand is the only dynamic controller you need, I just prefer the sound of a compressed bass as there are some bass sounds you just cannot get without it. Build your sound on whatever you want, if it sounds good, it sounds good. Good luck in your pursuits!

9. Strokerbass

Strokerbass

Thanks for your comment. With guitar I was a kind of purest and I've always been one to say that most of your tone is in your hands. But I can't understand how you can produce that bowel shaking bottom without the right equipment. That compression pedal has gotten me closer to getting it than anything else I've tried so far.

10. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

And bear in mind... Victor plays a $12k Fodera. Hence "It's all in the hands."

Obviously there's some truth there, but still...