Pedal Neophyte -- Include MB Super Synth in effects loop or between bass and preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kjculligan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kjculligan

kjculligan KC Supporting Member

I am using a Markbass Little Mark III with a Markbass NY151 cabinet, and I have just acquired a few pedals, including a Mark Bass Super Synth. I intend to use my MXR M288 Bass Octave Deluxe, Earthquaker Sea Machine (chorus pedal) and Strymon Blue Sky Reverberator in the effects loop of the LMIII. I plan to use my strobe tuner pedal and my Mark Bass Super Synth in between my bass and the preamp of my LMIII. Does it make sense to use the Super Synth between my bass and the preamp or is there some reason why I should consider including it in the effects loop? If I use it in my effects loop, in what order should I use the Super Synth among the pedals described above? Thanks. KC

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The effects loops on bass amps are almost always for line level effects such as rack compressors etc. Pedals are designed to be run at instrument level.

In short, put it between your bass and your amp input.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Jared is correct (as usual).

Additionally you'll probably want any pedal that's highly dependent on tracking quality to be as close to the source instrument (your bass) as possible, the further down the line you put it the more likely you'll encounter less than optimal performance from it.

4. kjculligan

kjculligan KC Supporting Member

Jared and Unrepresented -- Thanks for your help. My revised plan: tuner, super synth, octaver, chorus and reverb directly to input of LM III

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I have the SuperSynth and keep it in the center of my pedalboard (left side of front row) mostly because it fits there physically.

However, I just want to add that I can get almost a crazy organ sound just by having a distortion pedal in front of it: distorted tone pushing that pedal can sound amazing! After the pedal is where I have chorus, delay and a Sonic Stomp to 'tame' the signal chain...

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If it's an OC-2 you may want it closer to the front of the chain for better tracking.