1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

PEDAL ORDER FOR MY PEDALS! HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Godinho_EURO6LX, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Hi i have half the pedals i mentioned below and half on the way

just need some help on which way i should arrange these and not loose much tone from the chain.

TUNER
    OCTAVE
    COMPRESSOR
    ENVELOPE FILTER
    FUZZ
    SYNTH
    CHORUS
    DELAY
    TECH 21 BDDI DELUXE WITH FX SEND /RETURN
    TREMOLO
    EHX SUPER EGO

I have asked about it before but didnt get many replies

lookin forward to your own tastes

i play metal and need the tone to cut thru with most effects

cheers
  2. metal_bass7

metal_bass7

Are you planning on soloing with all of those pedals? In my experience playing metal (which is all I play ATM) I have noticed that a nice clean tone actually cuts through the noise very well. I've experimented with different distortion and everything just fell into the noise.

I would use the tuner, and maybe a compressor but that's about it. If you are soloing however, then all that I say is out the window and you prolly need all that for an awesome sound.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The only order that matters, is the one you discover yourself, after trying various configurations. Trial and error, and lots of rearranging. Obviously, the octave and synth need to be close to the start, but really, it's whatever works for you, and that's the truth.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

+1, but I enjoy these threads, so I'll play.

Here's how I would begin my own experimenting:

TUNER
    OCTAVE
    ENVELOPE FILTER
    COMPRESSOR
    EHX SUPER EGO, with SYNTH followed by TREMOLO in its effects loop (I think it has an fx loop?)
    TECH 21 BDDI DELUXE WITH FX SEND /RETURN (everything after this in the loop, so you can send the whole shebang to front of house)
    FUZZ
    CHORUS
    DELAY

Again, this would just be my starting point for experimentation. I don't own a few of these, so I don't have any personal experience with them. There's a detailed description of my signal chain in my profile if you're curious as to which I actually use and how I use them.
  5. Kazoo_Legend

Kazoo_Legend Supporting Member

+1. I too, play metal but my setup is just a pedal or two different in order with respect to having different pedals altogether. My Octave (Aguilar) did much better after my compression so test that small difference too. Moving pedals around can be gruesome, so I too understand these threads and enjoy the respectful opinions that all end up with the "it's up to you" comment. The most common I've read is Delay is ALWAYS last unless multiple delays are being used in loops, the tuner needs the least obstructed signal, and modulation more commonly (subjectively) sounds better after your dirt pedals rather than before. Brands of pedals vary in their response to other pedals and the more you have, the more unique your personal setup becomes in it's specificity. I've always wanted to use that word........:hyper:
  6. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Well i ve got just one solo part in a song..for which i use the chorus..but we do a lot of in between stuff like interludes and i need some ambient type synth effects that could help me achieve that weird sound..couple of our intros have a bass lines with melodic vibes..so i would need more than just a clean tone to make it sound different. But yeah im gonna try and experiment as you say ..im just trying to find the right place for the Super Ego pedal