Pedal-overload!?!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SIFJiggy, Feb 11, 2014.

1. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Hi Effects section...

I've been a little frustrated with my rig lately - I can't get a lot of bite because I'm running solid state Ampeg. Love the classic tone I can get but I'm slightly disappointed with the "high(er) gain" settings.

Listen - I don't want to play metal - but I'd like to get a gritty badass tone once in a while for some more rockin/punk kinda stuff.

I've always run dry (except TU2) - and when I was giggin in my old rock band, I had the SVT3-PRO where I could crank the pre-tubes and get a passable dirty tone.

I'm just overwhelmed with the selection and how each one is a little different. Where should I START... maybe a half dozen to really look into...

Thanks!

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Do you think you'd want tube-pushed kind of fat low end blossoming drive like you may have gotten hints of with the 3 pro, something just kind of crunchy, or are you indeed looking for bite and edgy highs?

EDIT: My personal suggestions to get you started would be the Joyo Ultimate Drive, Fuzzrocious Demon (or BDPG), Blacksheep Outlaw, Wampler Euphoria and Darkglass B3k.

3. Swift713

Swift713

If you can identify an example of the kind of tone you want folks around here can most likely suggest appropriate pedals.

4. Scotch11

Scotch11

I just got a Darkglasss VMT and it provides a really nice smooth overdrive with loads of options. It truly sounds like an overdriven tube amp. If you want more bite/distortion then the B3K is where it's at. Alternatively the Way Huge Pork Loin can get somewhat close to the VMT.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

"pushed kind of fat low end blossoming drive"

That is absolutely what I'm going for -- I never feel that I need to get dirty or overdriven really. I think the quote above is the perfect way to put what I'm looking for...

7. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

If U liked the ampeg tone U had before, i'd recommend a catlainbread SFT

8. jumblemind

Like already said, if you post some clips that represent the sound, folks can help you zero in better, but this is a good start.

I second Duke's suggestion of the Catalinbread SFT. In that vein also check out the Fairfield Barbershop, runoffgroove Ginger, and the Xotic BB Preamp. The Pork Loin already mentioned is great for that, and without the compression or "tube fart" with its gain cranked, but it is dark sounding and will roll off your highs. The Blueberry Bass OD might be on that list, too, but I've not tried it.

And actually, I've been getting this kind of amp-type drive with the Joyo AC Tone, and it has the ability to do the high crunch, too. That or the Joyo American might be a place to start for cheap.

9. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I love my EBS Valvedrive for that, this video shows it pretty well at 2:10 vintage (yellow) and modern mode (red).
    http://youtu.be/0L-GcWEC8f8

Let me know what you think!

VMT is a great choice too btw! I love it! But IMO it colours that sound too much.

10. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

11. jumblemind

That's actually more in the dirty/grindy spectrum. Something like a Rusty Box or Myco Three should get you there nicely. For just a few bucks, again the Joyo Ultimate Drive might actually tide you over.

There are some good grindy preamp clips in johnbegone's shootout page:
    http://johnbscott.com/preamp_shootout/

12. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

Consider too the Source Audio OFD Bass microModeler.

It has a decent selection of drives, fuzzes and distortion tuned for bass.
    And many, very picky, drive/fuzz/distortion users here are getting great results from it.

Just a thought, as this one pedal will allow you to dial in several tones to find something you like.
    Then if you wish, you can buy the specific single effect you like that the OFD is modeling and sell the OFD.

Or keep it and have several quality dirt effects in one.

13. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

For what I'm guess the op is going for ID use a tech 21 vt

14. Happynoj

Happynoj

I would recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey. Super cheap, no low end loss - if anything you can generally get more low end out than you put in.

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I suggest a Blue Tube it's the best tube pedal out there in my opinion it can go from warm to dirty and responds well to different tubes there was one in the classifieds it may be gone.

16. jumblemind

It ranks higher than your B Peg?

17. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Sorry folks - TB didn't notify me of all these posts. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm still a complete noob as far as pres/pedals go. But I'll be hittin YouTube for sounds of all these pedals.