1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pedal Preamps that will drive a Power amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by x64, Nov 6, 2012.

1. x64

x64

I've been pondering the idea of getting a pedal preamp to put on my board. This way I could have my EQ settings dialed in and essentially have "my sound" anywhere. So what I'd like to know is which pedal pres on the market will drive a poweramp, for those cases I'm not DI'ed into the PA? I'm particularly interested in the Darkglass B7K.

2. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

I just got a B7K today, and I will be using it with a power amp for certain gigs. It sounds absolutely amazing. I'm running a crown xls602 and either an Avatar tb153 or LDS 1212/6/1 (or both in stereo!) and it just kills.

The only issue I'm finding is that with the blend all the way to the clean side there isn't quite as much gain as I would like to push the power amp. I havent had too much time to experiment, but I imagine adding some boost would remedy it. Once you dial the blend from 10:00 on, it is just fine. I'm using it on a gig tomorrow night, so I will know better after that.

3. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

most preamp pedals are to be connected to the return jack, which bypasses the amp's preamp section, thus only driving the poweramp section.

I am using AMT BC-1 which has 3 output jack:
    1 (normal output) to go to return jack on the amp
    2 (cab sim) to go to soundcards for direct recording
    3 (balanced) to replace DI Box

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For a long time I have wanted to compile a list of pedal and rack preamps and their various output levels, but it is a huge task. One day I hope to be in less of a crunch for time and money, and will get that project going.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gricko

gricko

for sure any sansamp w/ 1/4" boost, vt deluxe
    others probably

7. sprag

sprag

Do various power amps have an optimum input level? if so that would be a good list to go along side this one. sorry for the added pressure

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes they do; the good news is that it's much easier to find that info on your own for each power amp. It's in the specs as "sensitivity". There's an article in the FAQ linked in my sig explaining the details.