1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pedal recommendation for blocking frequencies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mytt88, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Mytt88

Mytt88

Does anyone here know of a pedal or possibly pre amp that can act as a low pass filter by sweeping to a sweet spot to cut out frequencies above or below a specific range?

For example to cut frequencies above 4kHz like a brickwall and also kill anything lower than say 50 like a brick wall so I'm left with all the frequencies in between?

If I wanted to cut out anything under 50 will that require a high pass filter?

As always the cheaper the better as long as it is reliable for gigging.

cheers in advance

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

F-deck makes the highpass filter. He might make you a lowpass too, if you asked nicely.

The old Rane EQ rack units have high cut and low cut.

There's probably a shelving parametric EQ in a pedal available. Key word is shelving.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

There's the Micro-Thumpinator that takes out all frequencies below ~30Hz, IIRC. As for low pass, get an EQ pedal

4. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

The same person/company--Max/[SFX]--that makes the Thumpinator and Micro Thumpinator, also makes a low-pass called the 'Screaminator' w/a brick wall at 5k.

I've a Thumpinator in my [SFX] preamp, but it'd sure be cool to have a Thhumpinator and Screaminator in a single unit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mytt88

Mytt88

What controls do you have on your pre amp? And how much did it cost if you don't mind me asking?

7. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Alembic Superfilter. Dual active Q filters.

8. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Supporting The Gold

9. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Cheaper options would be something like an eq pedal.
    The Zoom A2 (the acoustic guitar green pedal) multi-effect has graphic and parametric eq choices, and I know that the lowest is 50hz shelving. I can't remember what the hi shelving is though.
    It works well live, at least for an acoustic guitar. It does sound decent on bass too, but I've never tried it for that in a live venue.