1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

pedal rules?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rjovin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. rjovin

rjovin

so...i was wondering what, if any, rules you guys and girls have for buying pedals.

for me: rule 1 used to be no dirt pedals over $100 but that has ended with a mad professor blueberry bass overdrive.

now, rule 1 is no more then 12 pedals on my board and rule 2 is if i buy something new i have to sell something.

2. Down_Low

Down_Low

My only rule - all me pedals have to fit on my Pedaltrain Nano. Keeps the buying under control. On the other hand though, I have no issue spending a couple of hundred bucks on a pedal if its what I want.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The pedal has to fit my cramped board and I have to be able afford it. It must sound good, but that's a given. Analog audio path and true bypass will make me more interested when checking the pedal out, but are not compulsory. Top mounted jacks is a bonus. Only accepting standard 9V power at the moment. Not too obscenely looking or named, my friends and family should be able to look at the pedal without fainting or blushing. That's about it, really.

Rules and regulations are subject to change without notice. :)

4. necropain

necropain

my only rule, no more than 16 pedal that need power on one board. thats it i own more than 16 pedals my most expensive was close to 200 but thats the highest ive been i had money at the time. if i had money again i would be totally down for picking up something by dwarfcraft or WMD

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Only one rule- can I afford it

7. Dudiddley

Dudiddley

The one and only rule, if it aint funky it aint worth it!

8. IncX

IncX

my rule is: it has to be used on more than 2 songs to be worth it, so that means i can only get 2 envelop filters instead of, oh i dont know, all of them

9. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Hmmm... rules ? Not.
    More like the Pirate Code: "General guidelines".

1. All gotta be used in songs, except for one which is there for fun and experimentation
    2. Can't buy one if I didn't sell one before
    3. Personal preference: analog over digital
    4. I'll often consider Tech21 and MXR units before going elsewhere (again, personal preference)
    5. Pet peeve: if it's gonna fit the board sideways or inverted, probably ain't gonna buy it.

10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Ha ha...exactly.

For the last year, my primary two guidelines have been:

(1) Do I REALLY want it?
    (2) Is it a GREAT price and/or do I have a discount?

I'm a little proud to say that I've been able to get most of my pedals at pretty great deals, mostly shopping between used.guitarcenter.com and the TB classifieds. A few I've been able to get at lower prices than I've ever seen them anywhere else. Many others are in the ballpark. I got my B7K before Darkglass opted out of the Prymaxe 15% coupon.

11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Same here. There's a nice used pedal market in my area thx to the Kijiji website. I've had a few days where I sold 3 pedals in a day, meeting dudes on street corners, parking lots and subway stations. One of my lady friends fondly refers to these as my "drug deals", which is not totally off the mark.

Oddly enough, I'm finding that the pedals enduring any kind of durable stay on my board are bought new. It's the case for all pedals currently on my board except the BEF, which I bought (new) yesterday. The 1st BEF I've had lasted more than a year, so I'm curious to see how long I'll keep this one. I love my filters, but I flip'em often.

12. fasto

fasto

rules only exist to break them.

13. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

My only rule is that it has to be useful for the music I make. There is a TON of stuff I would want to just play around with, but I just can't justify the cost.

14. Swift713

Swift713

I generally don't keep things that I can't use for more than a couple different sounds and I have a tendency to want to are down my collection all the time.

15. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

I'm not in the effect thing yet, but I'm planning to build a pedal board, and after reading a lot reviews and checking some pedals at the stores, i did a kind of rule.
    Analog, true bypass, and for delay only with tap tempo.

16. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I used to run two boards. Extreme overkill. When you have 4 times the amount of pedals as your guitar player, you may be overdoing it. :) Plus, as an originals guy, I often need to set up and break down quickly, so some simplification was in order.

My only rule now is: one pedalboard. And I don't want to buy a bigger one, so they've got to fit on the board I have. Right now it's packed full, but there are two I don't use too much, so I'm allowed to have a little GAS. ;)

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

No Boss pedals.

Otherwise, no rules!

18. irbass

irbass Supporting Member

kkkk, I don't know why people love, Boss, Fender, and Ampeg like It's the only 3 brands name in the world.

Just for the record i don't have any of that 3.

19. Scobby Bott

Scobby Bott

Top-mounted jacks only. The B3K is the only pedal I use right now with side-mounted input and output, and it drives (no pun intended) me crazy, but for obvious reasons I had to have it. Of course, it also has to be the only pedal I own with wiring that would make it extremely difficult to rehouse in a different configuration

20. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

If I have too many pedal that they won't all fit on my pedaltrain mini than I have to quit playing bass and start playing guitar.

21. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

My one rule:

Brand does not matter! A cheap mass produced pedal can sound just as good, if not even better, than a boutique pedal...