Pedal suggestions for use in a metal/hardcore band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dearthbass14, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Dearthbass14

Dearthbass14

Looking to add a fee more pedals to my collection to use and to help with my sound. I'm looking to get a low punchy sound with some growl/fuzz. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Joyo Ultimate Drive - can't wrong for the 30$ and it's a fun pedal.
    I also dig the EHX bassballs - got it used for 30bucks as well
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What kind of bass are you playing? What type of music/genre? what kind of amp n cab or combo?

IMO its always great to start with a dist pedal. I would suggest the Source Audio OFD (OD/dist/fuzz). Its a modulator that has 12 different types of dirt in it and has endless possibilities for shaping each one. While it may be a little confusing for guys new to pedals, its not horribly difficult to learn and get the hang of. I would also go for a preamp depending on your amp. Its a little spendy, but its hard to beat the Darkglass stuff, especially the B7K for a preamp. You can most def get low punch with growl out of that preamp. It is def my fav pedal. I think if you give us a little more to go off of we may be able to make better suggestions that would cater to you.
  4. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133

When you say metal/hardcore what do you mean by that? Because the tones definitely vary. I play in a hardcore punk band and a heavy hardcore/grind/powerviolence band and I use a Fulltone OCD and an Earthbound Audio Mini Supercollider. A key part of the tone though is a ton of volume, playing with a pick, and tube heads/tube preamps.
  5. Happynoj

Happynoj

If you can post songs with examples of the sort of sounds you are after it would help. Also your gear list and budget.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Everybody should have a Darkglass B3k!
  7. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

^I keep seeing different oppinions there. Really need a preamp/pedal with DI shoot out. With the B7k beside the B3k. Is the added tone on the B7k control w/DI useful and worth almost 200 bucks more?
  8. Veldar

Veldar

Yes.
  9. El Raro

El Raro

For metalcore, all you really need is overdrive. It'll help cut through the drop tuned guitars and make your low notes sound huge during breakdowns.

If you're on a budget, the Joyo Ultimate Drive is hard to beat. Its built on the Fulltone OCD design but the Joyo surprisingly has better low-end retention so it works even better on bass frequencies. Set it for a low-medium gain grit to help bring out the attack but not to the point where it becomes a buzzing distortion. You want your low-end as present as possible but with a little bit of overdrive to beef it up.

If money is no issue, get yourself a Greedtone OD. Built like a tank and sounds like one. Best overdrive I've played with and has some of the best low end retention of any boutique dirt pedal I've tried. I'd also consider a Fuzzrocious Demon or Rat Tail but they're pretty extreme dirt pedals.
  10. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

It will depend on overdrive needed and clean mix.

Sigh... I'm probably going to have to get a B7K...

As for your quest brother? It's all going to come down to your budget and need to cut through the mix.

The Rat King or Demon King are a one stop shop bit crash party so how far do you want to go into that territory?
  11. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

B3K or B7K
  12. Guinness20

Guinness20

I'm playing heavy stuff at the minute - play a stingray and just bought a vt bass. I absolutely love it. I'm using it to both warm up my tone a bit and as a light od. If I wanted a second pedal on my board to stomp and up the od/distortion, would the b3k/b7k sound good? I mean when used with an active bass ad when used alongside the vt bass?
  13. Dearthbass14

Dearthbass14

I'm using a Ibanez SR300L, for a head i have an Ampeg SVT-CL and my cab is a Gallien-Krueger 810GLX

You can check out my band here!
    dearthnh.bandcamp.com
  14. Dearthbass14

Dearthbass14