1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pedal Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jawnthebassist, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jawnthebassist

jawnthebassist

I'm going to start practicing for my first band soon and need good effects. I'm playing a mexican fender j-bass and the band will be playing 90's alt, grunge, and punk. Any suggestions on what pedals I can use?

(P.S.) The cheaper the better!
  2. sowilson

sowilson

a tuner. You don't "need" any effects.
  3. the explode man

the explode man

Dat tuner though. You can have alllllll the effects in the world, but if you have to unplug your bass and plug into a tuner, or try and tune by ear to your guitarist, it is going to look bad and you should feel bad about it.

Start your pedal board with a Boss TU-3 (or something similar). After that, you can add any effects you want. There are no effects that are "must have" for the genres you are playing, so that tuner is the number one priority.

Seriously, just buy the damn tuner already.
  4. Darkonar

Darkonar

Yes, a tuner is a must.
    If you like overdriven/distorted tones, get a Joyo Ultimate Drive. Good sound, dirt cheap.
  5. jam -1

jam -1

Check this tunner out at Guitarfetish.com I have one I like it better then the krog pitchblack only 44.95 As far as a Pedal goes and your playing Grung you will want some distortion Look at the Darkglass b3k im wanting one they are high priced but an awsome sounding pedal I use a ibanez smash mouth now for distortion Im saveing my pennys to buy the Dark Glass

Good Luck
    Jeff:bassist:
  6. kevteop

kevteop

The only effect that might be useful for your gig is an overdrive. The Digitech Bad Monkey is a really cheap TubeScreamer clone which works very well on bass - just get one of those.

Then concentrate on learning to play. :)
  7. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

I'd recommend the tuner, like everyone else. An overdrive, for a little hair on top, and maybe a chorus. That's a sound Nirvana in particular liked. YMMV.
  8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

+1 on the Joyo Ultimate Drive.
  9. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

PD7 from Ibanez, about 30-35 bucks on ebay. It's definitly not the best overdrive distortion in the world, but it's a good start. I still have mine on my board after 9 years and don't plan on taking it out.. :)
  10. srxplayer

srxplayer

A Sansamp BDDI. You can get overdrive with that plus its a preamp and a DI box.

It also helps crappy gear sound better so if you wind up playing a gig through a provided back line that turns out to be crap. Running a BDDI into the front end or the effects loop helps a lot.
  11. Humbled

Humbled

Yep... Being in tune is the best effect of all, so a tuner should be pedal #1. I keep a Planet Waves plugged-up at home and a Boss TU3 in my gig bag.

Everyone on this board seems to agree that a Turbo ST-200 is better. I assume they're probably right about that.
  12. jawnthebassist

jawnthebassist

Thanks guys! I knew I needed a tuner and I should have said that, but once again, thanks for the suggestions.

Also, I already know how to play, but have never focused on effects.
  13. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I love my ST-200. Nothing tracks better or faster, especially on low B. For 90's alt, grunge, punk, I would be looking for a decent overdrive. Your best bet is to buy used. The classified section is chock full of bargains. The best part of buying used is that you can usually sell it for about what you paid for it if you buy smartly. This is good because as a pedal newbie, you will likely go through several pedals before you find the one that suites you best.
  14. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

1) Tuner
    2) Compressor (especially if you do some songs with a pick and others finger style)
    3) distortion of some sort, if you want
    4) chorus, if you want
    5) delay, if you want, use it sparingly just to get a hall effect
    6) envelope filter, if you want

Might just be good to get a multi effects box so you can try out a lot of effects without having to spend a lotta dough.
  15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'll go with the family and suggest tuner and dirt. My suggestion for dirt is the Digitech BassDrive, because it's offers so may tone possibilities, including your playing styles. Admittedly not the best out there, but for experimenting with a 1st band, not a bad choice. Selling at around 50 $ used and 90 $ new.
  16. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Pick up the zoom ms60. It has all U need to get started. Tuner, compressor, chorus, overdrive, etch.

Of course U can go crazy with pedals, I know I have, but that one will get U started
  17. newbold

newbold

First band? Save for a bigger amp if you don't have one that's hella loud already after you get an overdrive or distortion.

Rat
    Muff
    Bad Monkey
    Boss OS-2

...start there.
  18. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

For what you're looking to play/sound like, I too suggest a drive effect to make your bass sound grindy/growly/gritty. Punkers and grundgers want the bass guitar to sound dirty while still sounding like a bass guitar (generally speaking).

Don't get anything that's going to suck your low end (heh), it defeats the purpose of your instrument. Do a search for anything suggested to you, check out videos online, and confirm that the effect sounds good on bass (to you).

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is getting a lot of attention here in the Effects Forum, and by people that are quite picky about their tone; and it's like $30 new.

I also highly suggests getting an inexpensive blend pedal so you can try whatever guitar/bass effect you like and blend in your clean signal to retain your all important low end. Something like this, although there are others out there. This helps immensely with widening your options as you then don't have to worry about loosing bass frequencies. The alternative is of course buying effects with blend/mix knobs built in.

Really though, get a decent bass drive and use just enough gain to make your bass sound grindy and/or growly.

Then play loudly.
  19. bluejayway82

bluejayway82

Tuner.. defo! But what bassists are inspiring you tone wise? That can help direct you effects wise.. Justin Chancellor? Timmy C? Kris Novaselic (spelling?)?.. Ben Shephard? or.. Flea? Les?... All different sounds. Bass effects will also get you fired rather than hired more often than not as well... If you get bored with bass lines, maybe think about your choice of instrument.. But please.. make sure you're in tune..
  20. wshines1892

wshines1892

Joyo ultimate drive, maybe an EHX bass big muff since they go for 30-40 nowadays, and then I'd get a chorus probably. My favorite bass chorus was the old EHX small clone that goes for around 40 used. Get a volume pedal like an Ernie ball VPJR for 40 bucks if you're into swells and ambient sounds. You could have a decent board going at that point for a bit under 200 after you buy a 1 spot and some Velcro to slap it on some kind of board, homemade boards work great with a little creativity.

I'd almost urge you to pick up a Zoom B3 though if you want to spend around 200. It's one of the most versatile tools I own as a bassist. DI Box, amp modeling, multi effects, cab emulators, configurable routing, it's really quit a pedal. Even used I thing they go for 120 or so.