1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Pedal that models an upright sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nightwulf, Jan 1, 2013.

1. nightwulf

nightwulf

It's probably in there somewhere, but I suck at searches, and the search I tried didn't turn up ANYTHING like what I was looking for, so, having just got a Boss FBM-1 pedal (sounds great, btw), I got to wondering...with all the sound modeling options out there, is there anything that models the sound of an upright? (I know, sacrilege to you upright players out there, but I have neither the money, nor the skill for one of those beasts...but I do love the sound)

2. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Flatwounds in a fretless neck. Pluck close to the neck.

If the bass' got 2 pickups, favor the neck pickup.

Optional: add a Boss acoustic simulation pedal (or something like that, even a bit of reverb/chorus works)

Should get you closer to that sound.

3. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

i would do palm muting, boost my bass, tone rolled off a bit, rolled of my bridge pickup, or you spend 1000 bucks for the roland gr55 synth system.

4. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Roll off tone, pluck close to the neck, fret on the top of the fret not next to it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phagor

Phagor

Not a pedal, but the discontinued Line 6 variax bass had an upright bass model.

7. nightwulf

nightwulf

Giacomini, done all that:) But, naturally, it still lacks the "hollowness" of an upright...Even on my hollow body gretsch (which isn't fretless)...but thanks for all the input, folks...

8. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

+1 on the Boss acoustic simulation. My guitar played had one so I tried it on bass and it worked well. Thats the closest your gonna get for cheap. That pedal plus all the other advice you got on here will give you the closest upright sound your gonna get w/o the real thing

9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

Lots of multi-effects units (e.g., Boss) include a defretting effect. YMMV.

10. nightwulf

nightwulf

It's not so much the "defretting" (I have, and often play, my fretless), its that hollow resonance that you get with an upright...

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I don't think you'll ever get a satisfactory illusion of an upright. The geometries are too drastically different - from your finger's attack on the strings, to the lack of internal 'feedback' from the body resonating back through the bridge to the strings. To my ear, the electric basses that most closely mimic an upright's sound use the basic architecture of the upright - the bridge, the neck/fingerboard and well...the uprightness.

12. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

No other sound quite like an upright, that I know of, sorry.

13. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

I'm a doubler, and I cannot duplicate it. The reason is not sound, I can get somewhat close, it's that the upright is played differently. Listen to some Ray Brown or Paul Chambers. The lines "bounce". I have never in my life heard anyone get that bounce on bass guitar, I cant even get it myself.