1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pedal that sounds like a Marshall?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SquareWaves, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

I've had a ridiculous amount of fuzz and distortion boxes and currently am in a band that consists only of bass and drums. I have this Nady Distortion + Sustainer that's essentially a big muff knockoff but at practice through big cabinets just sounds like a noisy mess. When I plugged into a marshall and used the amp's distortion with the bass on 10 I achieved a natural sounding guitar-like distortion and fantastic note clarity. Are there any alternative ways of achieving this before I invest a ridiculous amount of money into a bi-amped setup?
  2. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

Marshall makes a few pedals. I have the JH1. I think it's a very good pedal, at least on the overdrive side. It's grindy and gritty sounding, with good note definition and little loss of low end. There are a few others, I don't know how good they are though. I think they're somewhere around $40 new?
  3. WinstonNilesRum

WinstonNilesRum

Try the Tech 21 British from their character series. It's supposed to be able to emulate a range of different Marshall tones.
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

If you want like a marshall super bass kind of sound, the zoom b2.1u has an amp model based on the marshall super bass. there's also the digitech bp355. it has an amp model based on the marshall 77 volume master. here are sound samples of the marshall amp model patches from my soundclick website.

My marshall bass patch from the digitech bp355
    SoundClick artist: Crystalman85 - page with MP3 music downloads

The marshall super bass amp model from the zoom b2.1u
    SoundClick artist: Crystalman85 - page with MP3 music downloads
  5. alec

alec

I've never played through a Marshall but a few folks around these parts say that the B3K has a Marshall quality to it.
  6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

+1 on the microtubes b3k. and yes the microtubes b3k can provide marshall like sounds. so could the t.c electronics dark matter distortion pedal.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

8. Manndreas

Manndreas Supporting Member

Check out the ZVex Distortron. It's made to sound llike a cranked Marshall if I'm not mistaken. It also doesn't have any loss of bass.

I got mine two days ago and so far I love it!
  9. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

I don't know if it carries over to bass, but the original Marshall Guv'nor pedals were dead on Marshall sound. (I used it with guitar though.)
  10. RickenTalker

RickenTalker

marshall shred master, but I would just buy a marshall half stack, cuz a pedal might not get you there. Also don't worry about blowing the speakers on he cab, as long as you ease into it when turning it up and don't crank the bass too hard when you play clean, you will be fine.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

12. SquareWaves

SquareWaves

I want to clear things up by stating that I played through a Marshall JCM GUITAR head in case anyone thought I meant a bass amp.
  13. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Sansamp GT-2 delivers Marshall tones in spades...and Mesa, as a bonus!
  14. Trooper1911

Trooper1911

Disclosures:
    Student, RAF Computer science
    Fulltone OCD, i use it for Motorhead sound, and it's flawless
  15. CnB77

CnB77

I believe there is a Tonebone pedal that gets really marshally
  16. GrooveRonin

GrooveRonin

Pork loin? i think i heard something about british preamp
  17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Just using my imagination here: perhaps a combination of tubeworks pedals & EBS Valvedrive. I'm convinced there isn't one pedal that does it all--you have to combine them.
  18. waterboy

waterboy Supporting Member

Carl Martin PlexiTone maybe? My guitar buddy loves this thing for his Marshall OD sound needs.
  19. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

IMO it sounds brilliant on bass!

Here's me playing a Geddy Lee Jazz through the Guv'nor (to ProTools via Allen and Heath desk): http://snd.sc/zD1hF5
  20. metaball

metaball

Menatone - King of the Britains does a pretty good Marshall impression. i have the 7 knob version which has lots of eq control. apparently switch position 1 is a "bass channel" per: gearmanndude's yt vid. i picked it up used & don't see any documentation on the Mentatone site to confirm that, but he usually dispences accurate info.

see also:
    Wampler - (Super) Plextortion
    Suhr - Riot
    Tonebone - Plexitube.