Pedals about which I disagree with the norm

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eddododo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Curious what everyone has to say

EBS Octabass- why is it unpopular?? Tracks better than 90% of pedals if you 'follow the rules' 3 useful modes, 2 of which are super tight fat blended octaves that sound WAY more natural than the gross sounding MXR

Markbass Compressore: The absolute best value compressor at 160 used, and its been going for 105-120 even! I swear the only reason these resell constantly is that it's too legitimate of a compressor and people either use it zealously because they can't detect the transparent compression until they put it at a ridiculous (bad) setting. That or plain ol' GAS for something more tangible.

Diamond Compressor: suprisingly not what i hoped for; or perhaps i misunderstood what i really wanted. I found this to suck the life out of my sound! I know its well loved, and the action is in fact very clear and transparent, but i just felt like my dig-ins had ZERO life. It sounds fantastic, but i could not keep it usable live, at least as an 'always-on' pedal
  2. eddododo

The thread says 'I' but i intend, of course, to hear you, the peoples' lists
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    These are really unanswerable questions as everyone has an opinion. This is a huge carrots thing.
  4. eddododo

Kind-of, but carrots are good for vision anyway
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

EBS Octabass...I bought this along with an MXR Bass Octave and an Aguilar Octamizer to test them. The EBS had BY FAR the worst tracking. It wasn't even close. Makes me think now there could have been something wrong with it...but if it breaks that easy I don't want it.
  7. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Markbass Compressore is huge! That's about the only reason why I stood away from it, I ended up with the Empress Compressor (also very transperant).
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 and if you open it up there is room enough for the guts of two other pedals.
  9. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I was never thrilled with the Darkglass stuff. The owner seems like a real stand up dude though. That's always good.
  10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

At first blush, I didn't like my b3k. After powering through it for 2 weeks, I've found it to be a really great OD that does have a wide range of sounds. The blend knob is the knob that I end up turning the most to get different sounds. Give them another shot. YMMV.
  11. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Popularity doesn't connotate quality. 90+% of players out there have no idea who Darkglass, Source Audio, etc. are. All they know is what they see at Guitar Center at best...EHX, Dunlop, etc.
  12. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I just think the sound isn't for me. I've heard other people rock a nice sound with those gadgets, but at the end of the day, its just not the sound I go for with my music.

I'm in no way hostile towards the product. I don't think I am about any brand.
  13. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

Nay - I recently opened mine up and couldn't get over how jam packed it was. They actually use/need that space!!
  14. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

I'm the same way. I had a b7k and didn't like that signature clank with any of my basses
  15. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I don't think that's the complaint. I think there is almost universal praise for the sound quality and features, but people dislike the giant footprint and dificult power requirements when implementing it on your average pedalboard.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah I get what the op is saying. I've gotten a few pedals because I heard them talked up here on TB. Didn't like them and wondered why they were so popular. But one thing TB has def taught me, it's all relative. There are so many variables rig to rig. I remember when I got the wren and cuff TFR. Thought it would be awesome from a lot of folks said about it. Didn't like it at all. But it floats a lot of other peoples boats so who am I to say it stinks. I can't live without my B7K. My tone would feel lifeless without it after using all the time I have. But as stated above, it's not for everyone.
  17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. That's it.
  18. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Eventide Pitchfactor: can't handle poly-phony, half the modes sound too wonky,some mode felt gimmicky and overall I choose the EHX H.O.G. (LOADS better, can actually handle polyphony and everything in it is useful).
  19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I use TB and Ovnilabs as a general guideline, but not as a rule. There's lots of valuable info out there, but I know what I like and it doesn't always sync with the most popular reviews or opinions. Two pedals I bought based on TB recommendations I sold within a week: the Markbass comp and the EBS Multidrive. I don't really worry about what is trending at the moment and just base it on the application and tone that works for me. A glowing review on Ovnilabs can put a pedal at the top of the TB gas list, but this doesn't mean it will work for everyone in every context. Use what works for you.
  20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I'll spin this the other way. I would point out that I find the Pitchfactor to be between adequate and even perhaps good in terms of polyphony on certain effects (PitchFlex, MicroPitch, H910/H949, etc.). On the ones where it is not, I mostly wouldn't want/need polyphonic capabilities anyway (Diatonic, Quadravox, etc.). So I disagree in way that is positive for the pedal, I feel like this a common criticism of the unit that isn't totally fair or accurate.

And on that note, while I've never owned a HOG or even tested one, I have never understood why this pedal is often thought of as superior to the Pitchfactor. I'm not saying it's not great at what it does or that it doesn't exceed the Pitchfactor in certain aspects, but they are so clearly two different beasts. They each have different functions and modes, it is absolutely Mandarins and Granny Smiths.
  21. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

My pedal that I love from the land of TB-unloved-pedals is the Sparkle Drive. I am going to move forward with a Keeley mod on it eventually, which I think will make it even better.

As for the EBS Octabass, I thought it tracked very well, but the low octave sounds were just not intense enough for me. I traded my guitarist at the time for his OC-2 and we both came out ahead.