Pedals protection

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrPierre, Jan 24, 2014.

1. MrPierre

MrPierre

I'm looking for a way to physically protect my pedal. I play in a band with a messy stage act (A LOT of fake blood) and our crowd isn't always the nicest, so beer fly around, stuff get knocked around, I sweat a lot, people fall on stuff... you know, the usual. That doesn't bother me at all (I like thoses gigs!) but its taking a toll on my gear.

Usually, the amp is far enough from the crowd to be safe and my bass seem to be doing ok (I clean it after each gig), but the pedals aren't doing so great.

Is there a better alternative to covering everything in plastic wrap?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I would suggest you keep the pedals behind your amp rig, and make a remote bypass box with switches for each of them. It would need a breakout cable that has one multi-pin connector at the remote onstage end, and all the individual 1/4" plugs on the other.

The remote box can be plain steel, maybe sprayed with a non-stick coating. Of course you'd have to replace the footswitches once in a while, but that's not a big deal. The actual effect circuitry would be out of harm's way.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree.

This is clearly the best way to go about it unless you make lots of changes to pedal settings during the gig. If your setting are fixed and all you need is on/off -than this is the best ideal.

Fake blood huh? AWESOME!

4. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    How many pedals actually need to be switched on/off. If you didn't want to a run a big snake to behind your amp, you could still do the bypass looper thing at the front of the stage, but design some sort of pedalboard with a lift off top where you can store your pedal underneath, and a bypass looper on top. Short cable runs, but pedals still out of sight.

You could also get something like a Voodoo Labs GCX or Rocktron Patchmate and put all your effects in a rack with one of those and then use a simple midi controller up front. That controller might get screwed up over time, but depending on the value of your pedals, that might be OK?

OR! Spray your whole pedalboard with this stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

Get a role of plastic at the hard ware store. Tape it on top of your pedal board. Replace as needed.

7. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

8. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Make (or have made) a plexiglass shield. Screw on a couple of 45 deg(ish) aluminum
    angles that slide under your board. Like a "sneeze-guard". You could even fasten an LED lite strip to the underside to see your pedals in the dark.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I think plastic is the best way to go here. I'd probably do what Bongo suggested and cover that in plastic :)

You could also mount all of the pedals in a rack and use something like a GCX Switcher and a MIDI board to control all of it. Granted you're basically just switching the pedals on the floor for another board to get beat up.

10. MrPierre

MrPierre

Its actually just one pedal (with two switch (engage and boost)) and a tuner.

I don't really like the plastic bag/wrap solution but that seem to be the easiest (and cheapest) solution.

11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Put it in a ziploc and be done with it :)

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Buy a cheap multi and throw it away when it get dirty.

Then buy another.