Pedals that you dig that dont get much love on this board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Sep 26, 2012.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

We all know that there're lots of VT bass, BBBOD and Rusty Box(literally gets sold in less than day when a used one pops up). How about we share some pedals that rocks you're world but is not rated highly by the board?

Ill start first:

1. Ibanez PD-7(distortion) . This is one of the earliest dirt pedals I bought, simply because it was cheap. I have since sought out many high-rated pedals as an 'upgrade', but I have since sold most of them away simply because they dont sound as good. It has a alot of not-so-usable sound built into it but for those of you who owns this pedal, try this setting. 1 being min and 10 being max, lows - 4, highs 5, attack off, drive 5, vol 5. Sick distortion.

2. HBE Hematoma - Another distortion that I feel deserves a mention. 9 out of 10 dist/fuzz I play gets buried in a band mix. But this 1 is definitely not one of them. If another asks me to recommend them an od/dist that cuts through the mix my first reply would be 'hematoma'

3. Mad Professor BBOD - Simply the best vintage -vibe high gain o/d I have tried, and I have tried afew(Fuzzrocious dark driving, SFT, BB Preamp, Aguilar Agro, LTD SR, you name it). While I have to admit that while it can go really high gain, Im more of a fan of its low gain setting. Nature - 3, Gain - 3. Vintage tube amp goodness. I think too many people are caught up with novelty and hype of the original BBOD. While I have not played one first hand, I have listened to clips of it and while it sounds pretty good, the amount of cash people would pay for it is ridiculous. The MP BBBOD can go pretty dark, and from whatve gathered, the original is even darker than that. I can only imagine it getting muddy in a band mix if thats the case. YMMV.
  2. octaverazor

octaverazor

I got one. Ibanez Tonelok Phase Modulator. It's not a real smooth phaser, but it does some of the freakiest, weirdest, racket you've ever heard. Including sounds I've never heard any other pedal do. Its my secret weapon. After every show, without fail, someone comes up and ask how I made that sound. I picked mine up for $20 at a pawn shop. A true sleeper pedal.
  3. Ajak

Ajak

I like my Boss ODB-3 a lot. I think it sounds great when the gain knob is all the way down and the balance is around 8-9 o' clock.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Ibanez LF-7. A unique pedal that can be used in a lot of ways and sounds awesome on bass. Yet I rarely ever see it mentionned.
    Guyatone TZ-2, best bass fuzz I tried period. People who own it usually love it though, it's just a matter of trying it.
    EHX Octave Multiplexer. Delivers thick, juicy octave tones that can either be agressive or smooth. Excellent unit, ignored in here.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Alesis Wedge (I once read it's the same as the Quadraverb). More desktop module than pedal. It has something like 175 effects & 175 programmable of the the same. There are at least a dozen subtle, very likable reverb effects on it & 100 not so subtle. I'm not a big multi effects guy but I like reverb. Also, EHX Holy Grail. Great reverb pedal.

Martin & Co. PortaCon acoustic preamp designed for acoustic classical instruments (again not a pedal but a belt clip style ext. preamp) noisy but incredible & impossible to find. I think it predates the Sadowsky pre that looks & functions exactly the same way. When I asked Sadowsky about it I was ignored. It has simple vol bass treb functions but for whatever reason it helps me arrive at a beautiful tone in seconds opposed to f-ing with equalizers all f-ing night. EQ is my crack.
  7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Chicago Iron pedals. They're a bit pricey but the Parababy wah is sweet! HUGE sweep and super expressive.
  8. JackoBass

JackoBass

Loved the original stereo Danelectro Cool Cat Stereo Chorus pedals - in stereo mode. No bells and whistles, just swimmy thick goodness.
  9. Ron Now

Ron Now

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Sansamp GT2. Dont see a lot of people talk about them on here. But I know some big dudes use them (JMJ, and J Chancellor). Picked one up to see what it could do, blown away by how versatile it can be, and the great OD/distortion tones you can get out of it.

Like it way more than any other sansamp product I've tried.
  10. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I will take a look based on your recommendation. I'm getting back into Sansamps. I used to hate them but I think my ears have changed.
  11. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

I like the Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker. I haven't seen much talk about it here.
    It has a nice mild break up.
  12. Nev375

Nev375

Media:
    Boomerang +.

It may be a big pedal that takes up a lot of space, but it blows away the JamMans and the Boss loopers and even the Rang III which succeeded it.

Everything else has too many knobs switches, sub-menus, USB connections, memory cards, software and other useless (to me) features in the way. The rang + does just what I want with 5 footswitches and a couple of set-and-forget knobs. No engineering degree required.

There's nothing else like it and if anything ever happened to it I'd be very sad.
  13. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Haz MuTron III+. Widely disparaged around here, and to be honest it is a pedal board hog. But it actually can cop a number of the original MuTron III tones in a much more predictable and speaker-safe manner. It can't cop all of the tones though, I will admit that.
  14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I have 2 pedals that, even though they are not hated, fall a bit under the radar (IMO):

Digitech BSW: you do see it on a few boards around here but doesn't get mentionned a lot. Probably considered a budget or a novelty pedal, but it does decent octave and filter as well as a passable fuzz.

MXR Stereo chorus: rarely seen, but wow, what a chorus pedal. A bit of a pest (larger size and 18v power reqs), but totally worth it (again IMO)
  15. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Ibanez Fat Cat distortion. Amazing take on a Rat IMO. Works perfectly with my current band.
  16. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

I completely agree with this. A lot of players hate on this pedal, but when I set it like that, it makes for a great crunchy overdrive. Not over the top, but nice.
  17. topo morto

topo morto

You have hinted at the main problem with it though - the stupid control ranges. Not enough 'clean' on the blend, and too much gain. That kind of stupidity in what's otherwise a good design is plenty of reason for the hate!

Agree - more usable than the original sansamp, but without the slightly cynial 'make the suckers buy them all' slant of the (still very good) character series.
  18. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

At first I was a skeptic, but after reading a few posts, I think this is a great topic for a thread. Perhaps this will help broaden the scope of some pedal users. I admit, I often gloss over pedals that I don't see mentioned too often on TB. However, after reading this thread, I've seen that some of those pedals are worth a second look. I just might have to try out a few of these!
  19. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I've heard that. A friend uses it a ton and swears by it.

This is kind of funny... I only really started getting into higher end pedals in the last 4-5 years out of 25 years of playing. I can feel the never ending disease of tone tweaking with pedals coming on. At some point, I think I'lll be feeling the need to own one of every sort of effect (at least one OD, one analog delay, at least one harmonic generator, etc).

If/when I get to that diseased mental state of a full-blown pedal head, this would probably be my first choice for an OD. I played one once (might have been an older version, as this was a few years ago). I was really impressed, especially since Boss's are cheap compared to the ones I've been buying lately. I probably should have grabbed it, but I wasn't really looking for a new pedal a the time.

I've not heard much about the MXR phasors. I have the MXR Phase 90. It's super simple - one speed knob and a bypass button - but it sounds great!

The BassBalls do get a bunch of press here, but I still think it's severely underrated. For me, it's the best pedal ever built. PERIOD! I can't understand why any bass player wouldn't have it. That's just foolish. In fact, I think pretty much everyone should own one, musician or not. They just plain sound that good!

Also, the Vox Snake Charmer compressor is killer! It's far stronger of a compresson pedal. I don't know how they did it, but it really doesn't work like are regular compressor. The higher the input, the lower the ratio gets (as opposed to the higher you play, the lower the dbs along the ratio. It's a bit backwards, but the end result is such crazy compression that it becomes an effect all on it's own, way beyond just leveling things out. It's hard to describe except that you can really, really squelch the volume in a variety of ways that just don't sound at all normal. I think there's several others out there that are as unusual as this one, but this is the only one of those that I've come across. Killer pedal, but it discontinued a few years ago.
  20. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Yeah, I agree. Gotta keep the mind open musically. There's plenty of great bassists (and guitarists) that swear by their relatively cheap equipment. THe only one I can think of off hand is Flea. I couldn't remember what it was until I, just now, did a quick search. I'm pretty sure it was the Boss ODB-3. I remember an interview where he said it was the only pedal he absolutely needed at a show or something like that, and I was surprised that it wasn't an expensive boutique pedal.
  21. Richard Sabines

Richard Sabines

I can't live without my ODB-3. I use the same 9 o'clock blend balance, but I use the gain 9 1/2 or 10 o' clock. Bass all the way up and treble around 130. Seriously the most underated "overdrive not over the top" pedal ever! LOVE IT! :bassist: