Pedals with voltage sag and/or bias controls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blindrabbit, Jan 27, 2013.

1. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I've noticed while going through my own personal dirt pedal question that almost without fail I really enjoy the tones and capabilities that come from pedals that have either voltage sag/starve controls in their circuit, or bias controls.

I know there are examples that are excellent for bass, like the Fairfield Barbershop (sag control), Heavy Electronics Grind Fuzz (sag control) and also ones that are less ideal for bass, like the Germanium Big Muff (voltage AND bias controls!). I'm also guessing though that there are a lot of others out there I've not come across yet. I think the ss/bs TAFM also has a sag feature too.

Can people suggest/list dirt pedals with these kinds of controls available on them? (Yes, I am aware that you can get a sag control built into a separate pedal, or that some pedal power devices have the feature too, but at this point I'm just curious about circuits where it is inherent to the pedal.)

Thanks!
  2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

My Gnomeratron has a starve knob.
  3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure fuzzrocious pedals is coming out with a pedal like that. Ram the Manparts. Hasn't shipped yet but very soon.
  4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    My Dwarfcraft Shiva has this feature.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
  7. blindrabbit

I did notice that just yesterday. I'm eager to learn more about it.
  8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I have a Guttermouth modded Sovtek Big Muff with a bias,gate,oscillation switch and bigger caps on it.....

The bias can really make thinks lo fi and nasty!
  9. blindrabbit

I honestly have yet to hear a pedal that has a bias and/or voltage control on it that does anything other than make the effect sound *better* (to my ears) when the control is utilized. It honestly makes me wonder why these controls aren't present on more dirt boxes...which I guess is why I started this thread!
  10. picerjamo

picerjamo

I'm pretty sure fuzzrocious pedals is coming out with a pedal like that[​IMG][​IMG]
  11. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Gold Supporting Member

The Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B has an internal bias control, messing around with it makes it SO much more useful. I had Matt build me a custom one with bias control on the outside for on the fly tweaks.
  12. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Dwarfcraft also makes a pedal that can starve the power supply to any other pedal -- the "power struggle".
  13. blindrabbit

Yeah, I wish the bias control on my PPB was on the outside! I'm almost tempted to send it back in to Matt (or someone else) to get this mod done, as I think it would be an even better pedal if the control was easily accessible and tweakable.

I have heard of (and watched some demos/etc) of separate pedals and devices that can starve any pedal - I'll probably give one of them a try at some point in time.

All the responses so far are much appreciated, thanks!