Pedaltrain Volto power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeffbonny, Nov 30, 2013.

1. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

A re-chargeable lithium-ion psu like this seems like it might work well for small boards. I can't find one to check out though. Anyone have hands on experience with it yet?

2. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I've come very close to pulling the trigger on one but I'm waiting on a hands on review.

3. jeffbonny

I drove 45 minutes today to a store that said they had one only to find that it had been boxed to send back for warranty. With some further research on some guitar forums I see a lot of people have had issues and the general verdict seems to be thumbs down. Too bad...it's a great idea. Hope Pedaltrain sorts it out.

4. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

hmm, isnt this just a 9 volt rechargeable battery pack? I just put together something similar for under $40 : 8-AA high capacity batteries/charger (Eneloop); a battery holder and mini plug from Radio Shack and the Voila! Its got at least the mAmp rating of the pedaltrain battery if not greater. Might even get fancy and velcro it to my pedalboard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffbonny

$40? Sure for the batteries. Decent AA Li rechargeables are at least $5 a piece. Add a basic 2 unit charger for $25 or $45-$65 for an 8 bay charger...even more for a smart charger. Then add all the world wide charger adapters. Then pay yourself your hourly wage ($35 for me) to source the parts and put it all together and you'll have a unit that's probably a little bigger, waaaaaay more hassle to charge and if you do really well only costs about $200. No thanks.

edit.
    I guess you could do it for as cheap as $40 not including your labor. But I've worked on quite a few touring Broadway shows like Wicked and Lion King and talking to the guys taking care of the wireless packs (often well over 100 batteries a night) it seems pretty clear you get what you pay for not just in the batteries but equally as much in chargers. I'm all for saving a buck but in the long game sometimes the cheapest price isn't always the best deal.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

There was talk of it in the Nano thread. One TB'er had to send his back to Pedaltrain because it died on him mid-gig (two hours of power, I believe). 2000mA for 14 hours or whatever seemed a bit too good to be true, I'll admit. Surely, they'll get it sorted at some point, but I'm holding off for now.

8. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

I have one in LA. I played with it at NAMM this year and fell in love. I'll do a full review when I get back Saturday.

9. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Media:
    I've been using one for about a month. Played a couple of gigs, a handful of practices, and a recording session. There are a couple of little quirks I'd fix, but I quite like it.

10. DrPat

DrPat

[​IMG]

I'm currently using the Pedal Juice (Sanyo Eneloop).
    PROS (vs Volto):
    • better runtimes (i think)
    • led always visible (not on the underside)
    • water resistant
    • better brand :)

CONS (vs Volto):
    • bigger
    • can not play & recharge at the same time

Anyway, the 2 outputs are not isolated from each other in any of the two.

11. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

I bought the charger and all the batteries for under $35 at Amazon incl. shipping. I bought a battery holder and a mini jack at Radio Shack for under $5. I did one solder joint, took me 10 minutes. I can also use these AA batteries on my camera and other devices. Or you can pay $99 and wait for it to be in stock and also be one and done when this device (eventually) reaches its life span charge/discharge. Just clarifying; and by the way, if you actually want a device which can play all your 9Volt pedals, as well as your 12Volt devices...as well as your laptop for when you are recording on site or whatnot...with international adapters, just get this.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B45EOYS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

I have nothing against PedalTrain, they make good pedal boards and I own 3 of them. I just think people should have choices.
    Regardless of the brand/product, Ive become a convert to DC, for its clean signal + convenience of not needing to run more power cables.

12. jeffbonny

I guess I should have mentioned that in addition to seeing what big productions are using I've also done IATSE calls on low budget semi-pro productions that were using cheap batteries and chargers. The failure rate is very often unacceptable and on more than one of those shows the batteries and chargers had to be replaced. I'm glad cheap is working for you but based on personal experience my faith in cheap rechargeable battery systems is extremely low.

That Li pack you linked looks interesting. Knowing other similar options exist is good. At this point though I'm gonna let others be the guinea pigs on this technology. It's compact and convenient but AC powered PSU's aren't that much hassle and are dead reliable. Probably nicer to the environment too....

13. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I ordered one, and I'm hoping I don't experience any issues. I've read all the negative stuff, and I'm a little leery.

I was either going to go battery, or try a power conditioner. My church has very noisy power. It's not the pedals I run, as they are dead quiet at home running on a 9v adapter. But at church, it's BUZZZZZ city. I can fiddle around with it and get some of it out, but it's still there.

So I either put a 9v battery in my tuner, and 4 AA batterys in my B3 or I give the Volto a try.

Battery life is not really a concern as we typically only do three songs. I just don't want to deal with power strings, one spots, and noise.

14. JALevineMD

JALevineMD

I ordered two Voltos. I had each fully charged and hooked up to five pedals. Turned all pedals on and ran them continuously with a stopwatch to see the battery life. The Voltos each lasted around 14 hours. Not too bad.

15. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

By "ran them continuously" do you mean leaving them turned on? Wouldn't the power use be different if they were actually being played through?

16. JALevineMD

JALevineMD

There are jacks in the input of each pedal and they are all turned on (indicator lights are illuminated). I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference whether or not I was actually playing, though I could be wrong. If I didn't have jacks in the inputs, that could give erroneous results.