1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pedulla MVP 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaBassGuy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

Normally I prefer jazz basses, mostly with single coil j pups. I am not a P guy.

I bought a nice MVP 4 with a P/J setup after reading glowing reviews about it. But while I love the feel and the neck of the bass, I'm not connecting with the tone--it has more of a P bass character to it.

Are there any ideas on how to dial in a tone that will appeal to a J guy? And is my observation correct that the MVP has more of a P bass flavor to it?
  2. RLK

RLK

I don't know how you get around making the P sound like a J.
    Both my Pedullas (MVP, Buzz) have J/J setups.
    While they still have their own sound,I can approximate the Jazz tone.
    J/J MVPs are definitely harder to come by used.

You may consider the Rapture J/J.
    Pedulla quality and playability, but specifically designed for a more traditional look/sound.
  3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Every Pedulla MVP or Buzz that I've ever played* had the P/J configuration, and none of them sounded like a Precision bass to me; they all sounded decidedly like a Pedulla.

But if I wanted to make any P/J-equipped bass sound even less P Bass-like, I would roll the Blend knob ~20-30% towards the bridge pu and then add +2 or 3dB on the Bass EQ.

* except for the one really early Pedulla that had a pair of DiMarzio Model One humbuckers.
  4. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

I guess what I meant was the P pickups dominates when the pups are evenly split. The tone is very much low mid heavy, as is the P bass.

5. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Maybe adjust the pickup heights so the P is a bit lower & the J is a bit higher?