Pedulla MVP 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LaBassGuy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Normally I prefer jazz basses, mostly with single coil j pups. I am not a P guy.

I bought a nice MVP 4 with a P/J setup after reading glowing reviews about it. But while I love the feel and the neck of the bass, I'm not connecting with the tone--it has more of a P bass character to it.

Are there any ideas on how to dial in a tone that will appeal to a J guy? And is my observation correct that the MVP has more of a P bass flavor to it?

2. RLK

RLK

I don't know how you get around making the P sound like a J.
    Both my Pedullas (MVP, Buzz) have J/J setups.
    While they still have their own sound,I can approximate the Jazz tone.
    J/J MVPs are definitely harder to come by used.

You may consider the Rapture J/J.
    Pedulla quality and playability, but specifically designed for a more traditional look/sound.

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Every Pedulla MVP or Buzz that I've ever played* had the P/J configuration, and none of them sounded like a Precision bass to me; they all sounded decidedly like a Pedulla.

But if I wanted to make any P/J-equipped bass sound even less P Bass-like, I would roll the Blend knob ~20-30% towards the bridge pu and then add +2 or 3dB on the Bass EQ.

* except for the one really early Pedulla that had a pair of DiMarzio Model One humbuckers.

4. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

I guess what I meant was the P pickups dominates when the pups are evenly split. The tone is very much low mid heavy, as is the P bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Maybe adjust the pickup heights so the P is a bit lower & the J is a bit higher?