SOLD Pedulla MVP5 Defretted - "Mark Egan Signature"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Joebone, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

On offer is a Pedulla 5-string fretless. Although it looks like a Pentabuzz, it is not. It's a defretted MVP5, "Mark Egan Signature." For pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120702829@N03/

Like a Pentabuzz, you have the classic Pedulla lyre shape. Neck through, ebony board, 34" scale, 19mm spacing, Bartolini P/J pickups and 2-band eq, along with a mid-range boost toggle. Built in 2002, when Mr. Pedulla had gone back to doing things himself rather than running a larger shop. A teal burst finish that is hard to photograph - I'd say it's a bit more green than the blueish cast in the photos, but it looks great.

This bad boy has a few special features. It is a Mark Egan signature, which means the treble cutaway is a bit more open to facilitate upper-fret access, and there is an ebony thumb rest parallel to the B-string.

the main difference with a Pentabuzz is that there is no polyester coating on the fingerboard. Whoever did the defret and added the ghost lines was a bit sloppy, but the true glory of this axe is the sound and feel of the thick slab of ebony fretboard, which features an oil finish devised and applied by Andy Brauer. I figure if Andy's work is good enough for Slash, then it's good enough for me! The body wings are solid AAA flame maple, and this bass vibrates like crazy, even when played softly, acoustically. It has a beautiful sound, and the feel of the ebony fingerboard is beyond belief. This bass will mwah like crazy if you dig in with your left hand, and the action can go lower than as I currently have it. BUT the real glory of the oil-finish on the neck is the ability NOT to sound like a skittish fretless if you instead want to hold a solid groove. This bass has a deep heart, a lot of thump, and a very wide range of expression.

Condition is excellent for it's age - per the pix, no meaningful scratches or scuffs. But the real deal is the sound of this fine instrument. I've known for a long while that the Pentabuzz/MVP body shape was not for me, and have been using another fretless 5 with the same fingerboard treatment, but I could not bring myself to sell this Pedulla,until now, because it is so darned special.

Comes with the specialized Pedulla truss rod tool and manual, and the Pedulla/Levy's gig bag.

Looking for $2100, shipped CONUS.

Also please note my listing for an Alembic Orion fretless 4, with upgraded Essence electronics. I'm in sell-off mode, to finance a new purchase, so not looking for trade offers. Thanks!

2. Joebone

bump for correction - it is a two-band Bartolini preamp, along with the toggle for mid-range boost.

3. lslimcuttah

lslimcuttah

That's a gorgeous chick

4. Joebone

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joebone

7. Joebone

8. Joebone

Saturday bump...

9. Joebone

International deal may be happeningÂ…but until then, bump.

10. Joebone

Sold; thanks, TB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.